1982 35hp johnson

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
so now i'm at my wits end. rebuilt carb, new wiring, powerpack and coils,thermostat and head gasket, plugs and fuel pump . temp fine. starts and idles great. when i put in gear in the water and give it gas it bogs down and stalls. mechanic is stumped, too. any ideas?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1982 35hp johnson

Bet you did the link 'n' synch on the muffs. That needs to be done (particularly the idle adjustment) in the water with back pressure on the exhaust and a load on the prop when in gear.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

did 1st trial out in the water, 2nd in a lg barrel after replacing powerpack and coils.same results.

JB

Did you do a link 'n' synch?

Maybe the synch is waaay out and the ignition is not advancing on time.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

what is synch? spark advance appears to be ok.

JB

Synch is synchronization of the carb throttle with ignition timing. It is adjusted along with the carburetor linkage adjustment and idle adjustment, called a linkage and synchronization procedure.

Get a manual and do the "link 'n' synch" procedure. That will probably solve your problem.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

guess we're always learning something. i never knew that before. of course i've seen it and always zoomed past it thinking sync was for running 2 motors together. i have my mechanic on it now.
thanks for everything.

thousandlegs

Recruit

roscozen, I have an 83 35hp johnson. I haven't had this problem, but if I do, how'd the link-n-sync work out?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Of course the linc n sync is crucial, but other things to look at are when were the carbs last rebuilt? May be time for a bath and rebuild. Check to see if the timer base (starboard side, under the edge of the flywheel, linked to the throttle lever) moves smoothly without sticking when you advance the throttle.

Take the airbox cover off & observe whether the throttle plates are parallel.

Also, the timer base should start it's travel *before* the throttle plates start to open, else she'll fall flat when you try to accelerate.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so today i finally got to the bottom of this maddening problem. when i rebuilt the carb i managed to somehow overlook a tiny piece of foam rubber (about the size of a grain of sand) that had been sucked into one of the jets. it was partially blocking the orifice and not allowing enough gas at full throttle. the foam came from the inside of the cowling-used for sound insulation-and was beginning to disintegrate from age and exposure to gas and oil and heat.
i took it out this a.m. and it ran better that it ever did before. thank you guys for all your help.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hi legs, and welcome. i did the linc and synch in the midst of a flurry of parts replacement. since the original problem persisted thru it all until the very end, i never got a clear read on the results. sorry i can't be of more help on that. for future reference, however, i have been thru just about everything on this motor, so if you have any problems with yours that i can help with, feel free to give me a holler.