1982 25hp evinrude

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice
Hi guys,<br /><br />Just got this motor with a boat, was little trouble with water flow from tell tale, found a piece of rubber from the connector to the copper tube in with the impeller, this sounds like the cause to me??<br /><br />Now trouble is, ive had a bit of a search dont have a manual. I've pulled off the lower unit, unhooked the shift rod (bottom bolt) from the small hole all is well taking on and off.<br />I'm fine with taking it on and off only thing is i cant seem to get the shift rod to slide into the brass bit far enough. :confused: <br /><br />eg, where the cut out part in the rod is, i can only get that to the bottom of the brass, needs to come a touch more few mm so the gear shift will work in the right spots.<br /><br />i removed in forward gear, trying to put back in forward gear, also if i pull the shifter back a bit towards neutral the damm thing still looks like it wont go in the hole.<br /><br /><br />any ideas??? its just sitting there but seems to be blocked<br /><br /><br />this is my first boat so im pretty happy with where ive gotten so far just a pain i can see where it goes but cant get it in there

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1982 25hp evinrude

Oh dear, think i just worked it out.<br /><br />Pop into reverse and it forces it in.<br /><br />off to go kick myself

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

no, thats what i wasnt sure on, the impeller looked fine

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Lots of motors have burned up on impellers that "looked" fine. If you go that far, replace it. They're cheap insurance. Impellers are one of those things that can take a set or deteriorate without even being used, so age is as much of an issue as use. If you don't know when it was last replaced, replace it. If you do know, and it was more than 2 years ago, replace it. Peace of mind for under $25....<br />- Scott

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

ok i will do then, not a big job should only take 15 min next time.<br /><br />should i be looking at the complete water pump assy or just the impeller?<br /><br />how would one tell if the pump housing unit is shot?<br /><br />all looks clean dont think the impeller will wear the housing out ;P

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi, pump kit w/o housing would probably be just fine, excessive wear in the top of the housing where the drive shaft comes through might be cause for concern though.

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

ok if anyone with this motor can tell me, i had in water today. <br />not sure if i know what one the tell tale holes are, have been reading some dont have them in usual places etc.<br /><br />there was water coming out the back of the lower unit through a hole that increased with revs.<br /><br />there was also hot water spraying out of the 2 holes where the exhaust was coming out. I allways though these were the tt holes?<br />it was just a spray or water not a solid stream.<br /><br />thanks for any help

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you have water coming out where you should. It should be nice and warm - like hot dishwater. A "spray" is a good description of everything working well. Don't expect a "flow" but not a "mist" either.

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

Appreciate the info guys...<br /><br />Do these motors run a thermostat?? is it worthwile me replacing that while im playing about with it?? It seemed to have started spraying after it was warmer.<br /><br />Yes was warm spray/splatter so problem must be fixed. I will still go and change the impeller just to be safe.<br /><br />thanks guys

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

yep they have a 'stat. should be in the head, I think near the top. when the 'stat opens up you'll notice a tad more water coming from those holes.

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

just got a complete water pump kit, putting back together and there is 2 o-rings that came with it.<br /><br />I didnt take any o rings out when removing the old pump do i need these or are they just added in to suit other models???<br /><br />my repair manual still hasnt got here so i cant check.<br /><br />only place i can see where one might go is near the seal where the drive rod goes under the water pump. look a tiny bit too big to go on either end of the impeller.

Walker

Captain

Look on the bottom side of the impellor. Is there a recess around the hole for the driveshaft? If so then one o-ring goes there. The other one should go around the top of the driveshaft just below the splines. Grease the splines with waterproof grease before putting the lower unit back on the motor.

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

found where they both went, Still waiting for my manual.<br />Took for a run yesterday pump going well.<br />25hp on 12ft tinny is a fun ride