1982 20' aquasport CC w/ 1990 200HP merc OB

JerseyJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the prospect (a friend of a friend is selling) of getting ahold of what im told is an immaculatean 82 aquasport center console, either a 19' or a 20' (NADA lists a model in that year of a 19'6" center console model) with a mid 90s 200hp Mercury OB, trailer, and T-TOp. I dont have all the exact specifics YET, but i was wondering if anyone here had experience /previous ownership of one of these critters:<br /><br />1) Any overall comments on the boat? Seaworthiness, build, ride?<br /><br />2) I'm having trouble locating specifics on this boat, as most of them over the last 20 years have been highly customized... What fuel cap, livewells, etc?<br /><br />3) Can anyone give me general fuel consumption on a mid 90s merc? (I know i cant give you a lot to go on here, no exact model, year, or fuel injection or not)?<br /><br />4) Any problems associated with these mid 90s big mercs? I dont want to walk into a ficht fiasco here on a motor.<br />I will post more exact specifics later - i just dont have them yet and my father is becoming forgetful of specifics in his 60s....It's like pulling teeth sometimes..

JerseyJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1982 20' aquasport CC w/ 1990 200HP merc OB

an update on the boat: it's a 1982 aquasport CC with a bimini and a 1990 200HP merc. not quite what I had hoped for the price he was asking, but perhaps faced with NADA numbers i can pay what the boat is really worth.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

The Aquasport is a real popular boat here in South Florida. Kinda in the medium quality group. I would check the max hp rating for the boat as a 200 is a lot for a 19' CC. I would think the max for that boat would be a 150 but check the plate. I had a 19' with a 140 and it was a screamer.

JerseyJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a 20' ... the only model listed on NADA as a 20' from that year is the CC Pro deep V which weighs about 1900lbs... it has an 80gal fuel tank...that puts it about 2300lbs full fuel before you load it up with 2 big guys... does that still seem overpowered?<br /><br />I'm not arguing here at all - my last boat was 3600lbs dry and it had a 130HP 4.3L mercruiser in it. We got 30 kts out of it just fine but it was no 65MPH screamer.

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

JerseyJim,<br /> My current boat is a '79 Aquasport 222 Family Fisherman(cuddy)85 gal.tank.Good,solid boat,rides good.I recently repowered from a Merc.175 to a Johnson 225.Your boat sounds on the high hp.end but should be fine.Like "So Little" says,check the certification plate for max.hp.It should be around the steering wheel/helm area.You could probably go with less horsepower.Then again,if you plan to have heavy guys on board :rolleyes: Can't get into specifics but you should have very good mileage and range with the present set-up.The guy I bought it from actually used it commercially for a while.The only bad thing I can say is that on occasion it will pound in a head sea.Very seaworthy otherwise.I think this is because of the forward placement of the helm station on the cuddy.The CC will be less of a factor.Cockpits are self-bailing(drains) which is nice.I like mine and have had it about 5 years now.I may have more info later.

Bushleaguer

Seaman

I've had an Aquasport 222 osprey CC, 22 foot, 1987 model, for 5 seasons now. I really like the boat. It has a big livewell in front step-up deck, plus 2 dry storage bins. The boat has a cut out transom, which takes some water in a following sea. I've installed some plexiglass splash guards in the cut out area and eliminated the problem. Mine is rated for 230 HP, but I have it powered with a 115 HP Evinrude. I have had the need for more power on occasion, but am able to fish in up to 6 foot waves on Lake Erie with it and had no problems at all. The boat is constructed pretty well. For a 15 year old boat, it is in great shape. No rot, no broken hardware, rub rail is intact. All in all, I'm very happy with the boat. I paid $5000 for it in 1998. It had no motor, and needed some cleanup, but I feel like I got a great boat at a great price. If you have any other questions, let me know. Good luck!

JerseyJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the replies guys... it is possible it is overpowered. I'm going to be sure to check the plate when i take a look at it this weekend.<br /><br />The guy is asking 8k for it, but NADA bluebook is about 2k for the hull and 2-3k for the motor. It's got a bimini top (i'd much rather have a T-top myself...like having my radios overhead), outriggers (not of much use to me, we have 4 cannon electric downriggers), and radios and fishfinders. It comes with a fitted winter cover and a console cover for the summer (which is nice) and a loadrite trailer (not sure of age on trailer). The guy says it has been marina maintained and can produce receipts for it's entire life. I dont think the boat is worth much over $5500.