1982, 2 stroke 25 hp Merc possible reed problem

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman
after a few months in the garage i finally got the boat out yesterday. I've owned the boat for about 5 years and take it out regularly and haven't had any problems with it as of yet. but yesterday i couldn't figure out what happened. i put fresh gas in the tank, but a little was still in the carb (rookie mistake) and it started up great, idled fine through the no wake zone and ran perfect for about a 2 mile stretch. Stopped and fished for about 2 hrs and on my way back it started fine, idled out of the cove, but wouldn't get to full RPM. it sounded and felt like it was bogged down, or as if i was towing a heavy load. i want to say i smelled gas but pulling the cowl off while idling i didn't see gas leaking out, or i was looking in the wrong spots. Got back to the ramp and everything looked fine, but i dont really know where to start. ive looked over the forum looking for a similar issue but couldn't find one. Im thinking i need to do a carb rebuild, check cylinder pressure, and the spark plugs to see if both are firing. but id rather not do more work than needed. any info would be great! Thanks!

merc850

Commander
If a reed is broken gas will blow out of the carb while running, hold your fingers at the throat and if they're wet it's a reed.

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman
one bad spark plug... swapped them out a good to go! funny how it ran great for a bit, then died out. but shes good now!