1981 pontoon boat

broken boat 19

Recruit
just recently bought a 1981 pontoon boat with an Evinrude 55 horse motor. the shift lever has a alarm (buzzard) it goes off at low speed or Idol. wondering if anybody would know what this alarm would be for?

broken boat 19

Recruit
yes I check the oil level I pulled the plug out in a lower unit and it's just below the plughole I put the ears on the motor and started it up in the driveway water was going through the exhaust and that little hole on top don't know how to take its temperature though LOL

roffey

Commander
I'm not much of a outboard guy but if you have water coming out the little hole (telltale) then I think your ok for temp and impeller. Unfortunately that's about all the advice I can give and will let the next bunch give you all the usable advice, lol

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats.

Your boat is not broken, just needs some TLC.

Horn is overheat warning. If you can't verify when the water pump impeller was last changed, you need to do that. It needs to be done every few years. Change out the thermostat as well.

Checking the water flow with ears on the motor is not very accurate, as the pressure from the garden hose is forcing the water through the motor.