1981 Mercury 225 steering and trim/tilt

bigshrimpin

Seaman
I recently bought a project boat with this engine. The engine starts and has good compression, but there are a few problems. <br /><br />1. The steering is locked up. I have removed the hydraulic cylinder and I cannot turn the motor to either side. Can this be fixed? <br /><br />2. The Trim and Tilt doesn't work (The motor appears to be dead . . . still working on it) Anyway . . . . is it possible to replace the external trim motor with a intergrated round or square cylinder trim and tilt unit from a v6 after 85?<br /><br />Thanks any help is appreciated!!!

bigshrimpin

Seaman
Re: 1981 Mercury 225 steering and trim/tilt

Steering is now fixed. Engine now moves freely side to side after a good lube. <br /><br />Anyone know if the external trim and tilt mechanism can be replaced by a intergrated unit on these older engines?

Rangerbilt

Cadet

Does your trim/tilt assy has only a single ram and the hydraulic reservoir is inside the boat? If you are thinking of getting it replaced with the self contain (three rams). Then I guess we are both in the same situation. I'm trying to get help on how to replace an old trim/tilt to a newer model but so far I have no assistance yet. I'll keep you inform soon as I get something.

Rangerbilt

Cadet

What I found out so far is that you have need to replace the motor clamp (mount). The engine mount that you have right now will not accommodate the three ram tilt/trim. The newer self contain is wider. <br /><br />Check Ebay for a motor clamp that would fit your engine. I got one from ebay just last night for 70.00 plus shipping. Now all I need is to find me a used self contain titl/trim assy for a cheap price.

bigshrimpin

Seaman

rangerbilt,<br /> Thanks!! I'll keep my eye out for another one on ebay. You'll have to keep me posted on your progress. <br /><br />Thanks Again!!

Rangerbilt

Cadet

You need to ask the seller what engine the clamp and PT&T came out from. From the picture it looks OK but you have to ask the questions pertaining to the motor you want to install it to.<br />Good Luck to you.