1981 Johnson 35 Engine Mount install

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Folks, I just got this engine, model # J35ELCIG. Strangely enough, one of the engine mounts is missing (photos shows each side, one is there and one is not). I have no idea how this happened but was wondering how hard it was to install it as there appears to be no way to get to the inside bolt to attach it without a lot of re and re work. Has anyone done this? Thanks.

Attachments

• HPIM8677.JPG
    HPIM8677.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM8678.JPG
    HPIM8678.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM8679.JPG
    HPIM8679.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 0

zpd307

Cadet
Re: 1981 Johnson 35 Engine Mount install

it was a pain even with the powerhead off. you might beable to get to the back bolt with everything together. you have to go in from a different area. is the back bolt still there.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Yeah, the back bolt is there. I can imagine it's pain. I have no idea how the previous guy got it off!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

So nobody else has done this? There must be an easier way?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I don't think there is an easy way. Basically the drill is to remove the lower mount cover and undo any nuts holding the lowers. Then remove the nuts on the upper side mounts. and loosen the nut on the upper front. The whole power unit should then swing out at the bottom and up and out of the top. That is why the bracket is slotted at the upper mount stud locations. Needless to say you have to disconnect the fuel hose and removet the vertical throttle shaft and anything else that would be a problem.

I'm not sure how hard it is to get at the nut on the upper front. The carb might be in the way.

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was able to take a small cheap 3/8 wrench and put a 45 deg. bend about 3/4" from the box end. This wrench has become a valued member of the tool box, as it has replaced mounts on my '79 rude 35, and my '63 rude 18.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Now that's interesting. Did you heat up the wrench to bend it? The other option I was considering was to drill a hole large enough above it so that I could get a small 1/4" socket in there to tighten it up but was not sure if I would be compromising the strength too much or not.

The other problem is the engine is a salty thus I might have bolt issues.

The-Machinist

Petty Officer 1st Class

The wrench was very cheap(read, chineese) so I didnt need any heat to bend it. You wont want to try bending a craftsman or the like without heat. Companys heat treat theyr tools to prevent bending:). I did slide a smallpiece of metal conduit over the open end as leverage is somewhat limited by the angle of the wrench

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Success. I was able to adjust the inner bolt just right so that the mount slid in snugly and then I tightened up the outside bolt. The reason it worked is that I did not have to remove the original mount, it was already gone, thus re-installing was easier than re and re'ing it. I can see where the 45 degree wrench would work great also so for anyone reading this, try that method.