1981 Evinrude V4 90 hp E90TLCIM Impeller Rotation Q

pstar18

Cadet
I am replacing the water housing on my 1981 V4 90 hp evinrude. E90TLCIM

I am following Evinrude/Johnson p/n 5001594 directions that came with the water pump kit and they state to install the impeller counter-clockwise in the impeller cup, however the old one came out clockwise. I assume the directions are correct but the water check valve always streamed out water prior to removal and there was no excessive wear in the water cup, however streaming water never got warm/hot while running. I have the thermostats out now too and checked them and they are working (opening). If they impeller was installed backwards would this cause the water to stay cold? Anyway just want to make sure an update or something did not come out to say to install the impeller clockwise vs counter-cw. It does look like the last person that installed the water pump knew what they were doing, gasket sealing compund in the right places etc.

Thanks,

Rob

Re: 1981 Evinrude V4 90 hp E90TLCIM Impeller Rotation Q

Install the impeller is if the driveshaft is rotating it clockwise, I always put the impeller on the driveshaft first, lubricated the cartidge with dishsoap and slid the housing over the impeller while rotating the driveshaft clockwise. If you think you are overcooling might want to inspect the pressure relief valve as well.