1981 Evinrude 70 HP E70ELCIH Skipping motor

whitetailed

Cadet
Hello I have a 1981 70hp evinrude. The motor was only skipping out full throttle, but now is starting to skip at iddle. Almost like i am dropping a cylinder. I have put fresh gas, filter, cleaned carbs, added seafoam, changed plugs. I pulled plugs after trying it today and they were all very damp. Am I getting to much fuel? Bad spark maybe? What about my fuel tank pickup. I have put 15 hours on boat this season and now all the sudden this. Any suggestions would be great. Thank You:confused:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1981 Evinrude 70 HP E70ELCIH Skipping motor

Start with spark and compression tests.

whitetailed

Cadet

How can I do A spark check? It starts fine but sounds like it is missing or skipping.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I'm with daviet, my guess is that your problem is due to either compression, spark or fuel.

Spark test: get an inline spark tester (about $6 at autozone), set the gap to 7/16", clip it to the engine block, attach the plug leads (one at a time) and look for spark while cranking. If it won't jump a half-inch gap in the open air without a spark plug, then it won't fire in the heat & pressure of the combustion chamber.

A light coating of oil on the plugs after idling is good. Are they champion QL77JC4?

Sorry, we won't be able to tell if your fuel tank pickup is clogged with debris -- that's pretty much a visual inspection, so we'll need you to check on that and get back to us. ( ;) sorry, couldn't resist)

by "cleaned carbs," do you mean "disassembled, soaked overnight in carb cleaner, reassembled with new carb kits?"

Just a heads up...when you detect a hi-speed misfire (or a low speed misfire either, for that matter), stop using the motor until it's diagnosed and fixed -- if it turns out a cylinder is starved for fuel, that cylinder is also not getting lubrication.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Run through your wires under the hood, 29 years makes for some brittle wire sheath, I have a 81 50 and had a similar problem, it would randomly miss and turned out to be a cracked wire cover so I replaced all the wires under the hood, might not fix your problem but probably needs done and ways.