1981 225 removing stuck bolts on exhuast cover and heads

bigshrimpin

Seaman
Problem:<br /><br />1981 Mercury 225 - some of the head bolts are stuck . . . same with 2 bolts on the exhaust cover. <br /><br />What is the proper way to use heat to remove these bolts? <br /><br />I've been told to use a mapp gas torch and heat the bolts till they're red hot . . . then let them cool completely. Repeat several times. The expanding and conracting of the bolt is supposed to compress the rust or white aluminum crud . . . thus making it easier to removed the bolt??????<br /><br />Is this the proper way to remove a bolt with heat??? <br /> <br />-------------------------------------------------<br />Engine history - <br />-------------------------------------------------<br /> <br />Compression is 125 PSI in all six (+/- 2psi)<br /><br />The engine now starts and runs on a stand (pretty well) after going thought some ignition problems.<br /><br />The pistons appear to have a ton of carbon buildup when I shine a light into the plug holes. <br /><br />I want to get a closer look and also replace the head gaskets (b/c this engine is new to me).

mudrow

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1981 225 removing stuck bolts on exhuast cover and heads

I dont know why you want to open this up I wouldn't. Always get a manual. Dont fix what aint broke. look for the carb cleaning post it tells how to use the spray as you drive out in the water and will clean up the carbon. read a lot of these post here and they are helpful.