1981 120hp Chrysler motor- any thoughts?

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, im looking at buying a 120 hp Chry... 1982 model, I'm assured fresh water use only, and coming from back of bourke where it does this is probably true. Comps check out, runs ok... is a 4 cylinder, has power T/T and comes with s/steel prop...

I'm just after thoughts on this motor, if it was a decent one or has known issues to look for?
So if you own one, or have knowledge of this motor please put down your thoughts so i can make a decision.
thanks, Aussie steve.

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1981 120hp Chrysler motor- any thoughts?

Motor actually is 125hp... lol... i'm dopey :)

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

if it's been taken care of it should be fine. alot of the T/T's have leaking issues. Mine has some of that. As most will tell you, you should probably change the impeller and gear oil, etc. I haven an 1985 and I like it. I'm guessing it's pretty close to the same. Piece of cake to work on. How much are they asking ?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_6880.jpg100_5942.jpg102_6448.jpg102_0245.jpg100_6082.jpg

As long as it is in decent condition there is not much to say against it. Depending upon price. The 125 engine is a 3.3125 bore (3 4/16) by 2.975 stroke block for about 102 cubic inch displacement. The 120 on the other hand is only 2.80 stroke for a displacement of about 99 cubic inches. The 125 should have the large TC carbs while the 120 cam with either the smaller WB or the larger TC carbs depending upon year.

Neaither is a true powerhouse and will not run "even" with OMC or Merc engines of the same horsepower rating. But, if it is in good condition and you take care of it, it will get you there and back,

By 1982, Chrysler had changed to the Prestolite non-distributor ignition. This was a little more precise in timing and gave a "smidge" more power. By this time, they had also already developed the one piece lower unit which while about 1-3 MPH faster than the two piece, also has a better selection of propellers available.

Here are a couple of photos of various 105, 120, and 140 engines. These all use the same block and everything else. The only difference is in bore, stroke, port timing, and carbs. While these engines are older and still use distributors, that is the only real basic difference.

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice

thanks mitzysman- they want $1000... comes with controls ect... it lifts up and down no worries- and i could see no signs of leakage (or where they had attempted to clean up if it did) it lives about 8 hrs from the nearest coast- so i think the fresh only would be right.
My boat currently has old 1974 90hp chry on it. having just pulled the 90 apart for inspection, rings and head gasket I found that easy to work on- so easy when compared to merc blue bands of the same vintage!! smoother and quieter too :) I just wasn't sure if the 125hp's were a "grenade" and had known problems or not... do you know if the forward controls are the same? I think i will go ahead with this motor now. Thanks for your knowledge... are you in oz mate? it's so, so hard to get any advice on chry's here as they are treated as the devils work!!! but i'm just gunna say: how many cheap, looked down upon ol chry's are STILL providing fun while the "better" motors are hitting the rubbish tip?? HAHAHA. nuff said. enjoy your boating mate and thanks again!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Now here are a couple of photos of a slightly later 125 set up on a 14 foot hull and set up for speed. It tops out at 60 MPH.

102_6429.jpgworking copy.jpgresized55.jpg000_0049.jpg102_6371.jpg

Your 1982 engine should have the extended prop shaft and tailcone. It really does nothing for performance but certainly looks good

Controls for all early Force and Chrysler engines are swappable, however you will need to change wiring order at the ignition switch terminals. Basically, blue and white now attach to "M" terminals and white is no longer used for tachometer. You will also need a 20 pole tachometer.

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice

And thanks to you again Frank... Your knowledge of these motors astounds me mate- truly!! Its got a distributor tho- so it's maybe not an 82 model? its definately a 125hp. has a red/orange coloured engine (looks factory) has a belt driven dizzy looks kinda like the one on my ol 90 (bar the extra lead of course) has twin carbs... choke set between them pulling to bottom carby... hmmm. unsure. perhaps i shall get the engine number and check with chart, but either way it ran very smoothly on his boat- so i think it's a deal. maybe you know LOL (of course you do :) ) are forward controls the same? cheers mate.

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice

Frank- sorry to annoy- it looks identical to pic 5 in top pics... engine cover colour is similar as air boxes colour on that pic. prop- gearbox looks same as top pics too only i don't have that swish looking spike? lol. thats a must have- does look cool! should push my lil 15ft pride along at a great speed . I'm gunna get it. cheers fella!!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I am almost certain that the last year for distributor ignition was 1979. I also think the first year for one piece lower unit was '77 or '78. The two wire on the distributor are because it has an electric eye that signals the Motorola CD box to fire--much better than the old points. Since it has a distributor, NO wiring changes are needed. You can use your controls and cables. The engine only weighs about 275 pounds and your 90 about 25-50 less depending on whether or not is has power tilt. It should take about 1 to 2 hours to swap engines if you have a lift or some mates to help. It will cost you a couple of beers and a barbeque though (After the mates help, not before). LOL

Steven Bates

Seaman Apprentice

You sure your not an ex-pat aussie mate? Beers and BBQ's are the official currency of aussie blokes!!! your the man. thanks heaps :) I'll post a pic of boat with my new aquisition mounted soon. CHRYSLER!! WOOOP WOOP!! lol

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_6879.jpg104_6880.jpg

Swish looking spike? You mean tailcone? Obsolete but they can be found on ebay. 30 bucks when new, now, who knows. The also came with a "Flare Washer" or earlier a plain spacer. Earliest props had the plain spacer cast as part of the hub. long story look it up in previous posts.

100_6143.jpg102_0193.jpg102_0250.jpg

The engine in the fifth photo (earlier answer) is (I think) a 1979. See-- most of my engines have been made from parts and I no longer know the exact year. But, then again, I seem to remember buying it on a 1981 Renken 18 footer. SO: maybe Prestolite ignition was later than 81. Maybe someone else will chime in with a date. Because so many parts are swappable through so many years, exact dates of engine manufacture are not important to me.

The 105 on my Glastron V153 fifteen footer will touch 45 MPH so I would expect that with a 125 you might be able to go to 50. Of course, different hulls behave differently with the same horsepower. but it is a good number to shoot for.