1980's 50 hp merc likes to die

Tcher_j

Recruit
I have an older 50hp merc 4 cyl. ran fine last year this year i changed the plugs, fuel filter, fuel line, fuel tank, and cleaned the carbs. It runs fine when out of the water when in the water it idles really rough likes to slip into gear it also dies when you put it in gear when you get it going itll cruise along really nice for about a minute then the power wil cut about in half for a few seconds then die. it also only intermititley sprays water out of the tell tale on the top of the engine i would like to know if anyone has any idea whats causing these problems and any possible sollutions.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1980's 50 hp merc likes to die

Hi, Teacher. If an engine seems to run fine when not under load but wont make power the problem is usually fuel starvation (fuel pump in your case, you seem to have covered other suspects) or it isn't running on all cylinders. Disable each spark plug, in turns, while she is running. The engine should noticably drop power when each is disabled. Disabling a dead cylinder will cause no noticable change.<br /><br />Good luck.<br />JB
smile.gif

Tcher_j

Recruit

Where would the fuel pump be on that and how would you get to it?

Tcher_j

Recruit

i also only sprayed gumout carbcleaner into the carbs would it be possible that it either didnt do anything or possibly it broke some larger chunks of crud off and the clogged the jets?<br />
wink.gif