1980's 15hp Johnson

Utah

Cadet
Hi everyone... I just bought my first boat the other day, and the gentleman that I purchased it from has none of the manuals. Since I'm new here, I appologize if these are repetive questions. I did a search for them, but didn't find the answers I was looking for.<br /><br />I believe the motor is a 1980 model, but the model # doesn't match up exactly to what is listed on Johnsons web site. Could someone tell me what year a J15ELCSD 15 hp motor is? If it helps, it says "Sea-Horse" on the front of it..<br /><br />This same motor, what is the gas:eek:il ratio? The boat came with a 3 Gallon Gas tank. In this tank, how much gas would I use, to how much Oil? As I mentioned, I am a newbie to boating, and am using this little boat as a 'starter' boat. Sorry if these questions seem "elementry"...<br /><br />Lastly, will this motor re-charge the battery by itself, or do I need to purchase an external battery charger? <br /><br />I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you in advanced...

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: 1980's 15hp Johnson

introduces....<br />I=1<br />N=2<br />T=3<br />R=4<br />O=5<br />D=6<br />U=7<br />C=8<br />E=9<br />S=0<br /><br />so by the last letters in your model number, you have a 1980 model...J15ELCSD...not sure what the d stands for, but i believe you have a electric start, long shaft motor.... i get this from the "e", thats electric start, and the "l" is long shaft( 20 inches)... 99% of the time, if it comes factory with electric start, it will have altornater output to charge the battery...<br /><br />mix your oil at 50 parts fuel to 1 part oil, or 50:1...<br /><br />have fun, and GET A MANUAL, iboats.com sells em right here for 27 bucks... get one

Utah

Cadet
Re: 1980's 15hp Johnson

Hey, thanks for the help guys. I was kinda confused by the I-N-T-R-O-D-U-C-E-S at first, but that website that you gave me Knobby was great. It cleared up that mystery, as well as many more to come I'm sure. Thanks again guys...