1980 sears ( ted williams) 9.9 eska of course no spark

misfit171

Seaman Apprentice
1980 sears T/W Eska 9.9 had spark dirty carb got the carb cleaned up ran great lost spark . Took the flywheel off cleaned and filed everything I could put back together got spark back ran great again two weeks later lost spark again. I know these models are notorious for bad ignitions any help would be appreciated . Is it the timing plate , the magneto? Both? If one coil goes out will that hinder both from operating ?

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1980 sears ( ted williams) 9.9 eska of course no spark

I looked at the manual and that should be solid state ignition and its possible it might be going bad, could be why its losing spark.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

Those things have the reputation of solid state ignition failures. Where it's been sparkin' lately, I'd be cleaning every connection in that ignition. Kill switch connections, plug wire, all connections on the stator. I'd even clean the ones they siliconed, then replace the silicone. If you take the stator off, put an alignment mark on it so you can get it back on without hackin' the timing. Maybe a punch mark with the pointed end of a tap between the centering boss on the block and the stator. If it still won't spark, you likely have a dead capacitor inside one of the modules on the stator. It's fixable, but it involves de-potting the durned thang and finding a replacement 1 microfarad poly film capacitor. It's thought that they die when the kill switch is hit, and released before the engine dies. Do NOT turn that motor over with the plug wire un-grounded, that'll do it, too. Kill it with the choke, or replace the kill switch with a rocker or toggle - get rid of that momentary switch. CDS rebuilds stators for that motor, but they are $$$

Eska / Sears Gamefisher Stator: 110-0958

misfit171

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks yes I agree the capacitor is probably bad. Sad thing is I was surprised to see the kill switch work so I was actually was using it thinking nothing of it . Bummer I did have a hunch that was it and they are expensive . Probably gonna try a couple more things then throw in the towel and sell it cheap. Thanks for the info.

MahtyMaht

Chief Petty Officer

If you wanted to take a crack at a fix, I could probably get you thru it if you solder ok and don't mind the depotting. The caps themselves are cheaper than dirt, and often gettable at radio trash. Hate to see the durned thang go to the dumper

misfit171

Seaman Apprentice

I would actually like to save her. It's in great shape. Ill do a little more cleaning and try again. I didn't do anything to the spots where the silicon is. How can I delete the kill switch all together. I can solder ok , but don't have a clue to what the caps even are? Would need lots of help. But wouldn't mind a crack at it.

Arthur-Canada

Recruit
Bad solder joints on magneto. Had same problem on mine. Hot days no spark on one or both cylinders. Chipped away at all the epoxy to get to all the circuit joints and resoldered them all. Works perfect after that.