1980 Johnson 70hp

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The engine in the photo is a 1980 Johnson 70hp that came off a 17’ Boston Whaler. It was pretty ugly when I picked it up a couple of weeks ago but the compression checked out at about 110 psi in all 3 and aside from the rust and carbon (lots of carbon) it does not appear to have any obvious problems. I cleaned it up, mounted it and it started right up, it idled great but didn’t pump much water so I rebuilt the water pump, changed the gear oil, painted the lower end, changed the T-stat, decarbed, changed the plugs. Is there anything else that I should do before I give it a water test? What have I missed?<br /><br />
1980.jpg

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1980 Johnson 70hp

Raise the starter bendix up and get a little grease on the helical grooves there. (just for preventative measure).<br /><br />Make sure you check for fuel leaks, and run it a little before you get too far from the dock.<br /><br />You may be just fine! Some of the best dates I ever had were with gals that looked a little rough! :)

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those are great motors by the way. I have a 1976 model of the same HP. A boat salesman told me once that these "are the best running engines pound for pound on the lake."

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Whoa! Hold on there, Capt Puget! What's up with the fire logs in the background? It's not that bad! I got the '79 model & it works great. Don't torch it 'till you've tried it. :)

CaptainPuget

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a little garage junk in the background, I didn't torch it. I did grease under the starter gear and everywhere I could think of and I took her out for a spin. It needs some adjustments on the gear cable and the tilt latch doesn't latch but it ran great. Took the little sled up to just shy of 40mph @ 5800rpm and I can't believe how well it idles. Now I just need a tilt/trim unit for it.