1980 Johnson 35 Electric Start Question

Mr.LittleRed

Recruit
Hi,

Curious to see how I would be able to figure out if my electric start was capable of charging my battery.

Thanks,
Little Red

Attachments

• image_zps300f7b9d.jpg
    image_zps300f7b9d.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image_zps911c3dc8.jpg
    image_zps911c3dc8.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0
  • B_zps5higkbpg.jpg
    B_zps5higkbpg.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jasper60103

Commander
Hi,

Curious to see how I would be able to figure out if my electric start was capable of charging my battery. I will try to upload some photos in the next post, it appears that they don't want to upload at this moment.

Thanks,
Little Red

Welcome aboard, Little Red.
Also, be sure to post your model number.
If it was factory installed electric start, it should have charging capability.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 3rd picture clearly shows the charging systen is installed.----Need to check to see if it is working.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
To check to see if it is working, check the battery voltage with an accurate meter. Then start the motor and after running awhile, recheck the voltage. Should be higher than before, indicating the battery is taking on a charge. Disclaimer: Wont work if there is an accessory load on the battery greater than the alternator can provide (5 amps max). So turn off all lights, radio, bilge pump, cooler, hi-fi, etc.

Mr.LittleRed

Recruit
Thanks all for the replies.

Motor Info: J35RLCSM. My guess is that it was installed afterwards, as R is supposed to be Rope. Based on my understanding CS = 80.

Any chance you could give me a bit of advice as to what is the charging system is on this motor as indicated? Is it the black boxes to the of the fuel filter? And on the other side of the motor?

Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The starter motor bracket is not painted, that would indicate that it is not factory installed.----The charging system is simple .---Some windings under the flywheel and a rectifier mounted behind that terminal board.