1980 Johnny 9.9 Cold Starting--FIXED!!

Kev

Seaman
I've got a 1980 Johnson 9.9 that runs awesome, but consistentenly requires about 6-7 pulls to start but _only when cold_. Once the motor has started, it runs outstanding for the entire day. If I push the kill switch, then try to restart it when it is warm, it starts easily on the first pull.<br /><br />Can someone please give me some hints to get it to start on the first or second pull when cold?<br /><br />My starting procedure when cold is:<br />1. Set throttle to START position<br />2. Pump fuel bulb until hard<br />3. Pull choke<br />4. Pull starter rope (won't start on first few pulls)<br />5. I usually alternate pulling with choke in and out and it _always_ starts around the 6th or 7th pull, usually with the choke out<br /><br />I've tried slowly pulling the rope once or twice first to see if it needs more gas to start, but that doesn't seem to help. Neither does temporarily turning the fuel mix to rich.<br /><br />I checked the spark to each plug and it is big and strong. <br /><br />The carb was recently professionally rebuilt and it is adjusted correctly per J. Reeves instructions.<br /><br />Gas mix is 50:1, and the plugs are clean, not fouled. Motor has been decarbed recently also.<br /><br />Once the motor is started it never dies and always runs smooth and strong. The starting is reliable, but the motor seems guaranteed to take 6-7 pulls to start when cold.<br /><br />Also, can someone tell me how to check the link and synch for this model? I have a shop manual for older Johnnys and am familiar with that, but not for a 1980 model.<br /><br />Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance,<br />Kev

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Johnny 9.9 Cold Starting--FIXED!!

Kev....on occasion, I have found that when a 9.9/15 is doing what you describe, the cam follower roller is bad....ie....got some grooves in it from wear from sliding along the cam. When this happens and you turn the twist grip to start, the throttle plate won't open up a tad like it's supposed to do. This doesn't help for cold starting. If the roller is bad, replace it.<br /><br />Setting the sync and link is easy. Look on the cam for a hash mark...it's cast onto the cam so you can't miss it.<br /><br />When the hash mark is aligned with the center of the roller (as you turn the twist grip) the throttle plate in carb should just start to open. You can watch the throttle plate shaft on the starboard side of the carb. It has a spring pin thru it. To adjust, run that allen head screw on the cam lever in or out as needed. <br /><br />Let us know if we are in the ball park....thanks!

Kev

Seaman

Would turning the throttle slightly past START towards FAST also help open the throttle plate to allow it to start better when cold?<br /><br />Also, would having the grooved cam follower roller also prevent full throttle and full RPMs since the throttle plate won't open 100% at full throttle?<br /><br />Lastly, could someone please tell me the part # for the cam follower roller for a 1980 Johnson 9.9? I looked on iBoats but couldn't find it.<br /><br />I'll check the motor tonight. Thanks for the ideas.<br /><br />Kev

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The early rollers had an insert around the outside. With age, these inserts would crack and fall out. Would really screw up the sync & link. You could turn the twist gripe up against the stop for cold start and the throttle plate would just budge. Yes it would hurt top end.<br /><br />The replacement PN is 323328. You can get it from a local John/Rude dealer. One of those parts that ain't carried by iboats. Cost is a little over $3.

Kev

Seaman

Thanks for all the help, OBJ! I'll let you know what I find.

grantrs

Seaman Apprentice

i've got a 25 rude that was doing the same thing, hard to start cold but once warm it goes every time first pull.<br /><br />I have now fixed it, gave the hand grip a real good spraying to loosen it up.<br /><br />Then i'd pump the bulb up really hard and you could see fuel leaking from under the fuel pump, im guessing it was draining after sitting so no fuel to start it.<br /><br />I replaced all the plastic fuel ties with SS hose clamps and did up tight.<br /><br />Pumped up tight no leaks.<br /><br />Carried out back onto boat from engine stand, put in fuel started first pull and has every time now <br /><br /><br />One other thing to think about, the plate with start, shift fast etc, can move around, so putting it at start might not be in the right spot, twist it around 1/2 way then back off once it starts.

Kev

Seaman

OBJ, you are the man! Thanks for the advice. You were right on the money. <br /><br />My cam follower roller was in good condition, but I checked the link and synch and sure enough the timing was a little retarded. The throttle plate was not quite opening at the START position. I set it properly, then tested the motor at the lake today. It started on the 3rd pull cold and I think it will start even easier once I refine my starting technique. I will try opening the throttle just a tad more before pull starting, or maybe setting the fuel mix to rich just for starting.<br /><br />The slightly advanced timing (compared to before) seems to make the motor run smoother at trolling speeds too. No noticeable gain on the top end, but she starts easier and seems to warm up faster.<br /><br />Thanks again for your help!<br /><br />Kev

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Thank you for posting back with the fix Kev. Keep us updated on the engine and if it's doing OK. <br /><br />Thanks!

svenr

Cadet

I have the exact same problem, but am not sure what the term link & synch refers to. My engine is 93 Johnson 15hp. My cam follower roller is in good condition. If I adjust the cam lever screw, should I set it so the cam follower roller is aligned with the hash when the twist grip is against the neutral throttle stop?<br /><br />Also, my throttle twist grip has a little bit of play where it will twist, but not actually adjust the throttle. I just assumed this was because it was older and slighly worn. Could this be contributing to my problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Kev

Seaman

To quote OBJ:<br /><br />When the hash mark is aligned with the center of the roller (as you turn the twist grip) the throttle plate in carb should just start to open. You can watch the throttle plate shaft on the starboard side of the carb. It has a spring pin thru it. To adjust, run that allen head screw on the cam lever in or out as needed. <br /><br />**end quote**<br /><br />When the "link and synch" is properly adjusted, that's just saying the timing is set correctly.<br /><br />At the correct timing setting, the cam roller will be a fair amount past the hash mark (higher throttle setting) _when the twist grip is against the neutral throttle stop_.<br /><br />I think it is normal for there to be a little play between turning the twist grip and it actually moving the cam follower (flat plate that pushes the roller) and/or opening the throttle plate. There is a lot of gearing and linkages involved that can't be totally tight.<br /><br />However, excess play _could_ cause the timing or "link and synch" to be off, so you should definitely check that. Your throttle plate could be opening late or not at all at the lower Twist grip settings.<br /><br />Good luck and let us know if this fixes your motor!<br /><br />Kev