1980 Evinrude 70 H.P. Stator voltage

Working on a 1980 70 horse Evinrude Wiring was a mess so I am redoing it I have disconnected the rectifier and found it to be bad Before buying a new one I decided to check input ac voltage from stator When I checked it I found at idle I had 33 volts ac between the yellow and yellow/gray wires on terminal block When accelerated voltage goes up from there If I understand how this works I believe I should have 12-15 volts ac Wondering if I am understanding this right and if so does this mean a bad stator? Thanks in advance for the help

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Evinrude 70 H.P. Stator voltage

Working on a 1980 70 horse Evinrude Wiring was a mess so I am redoing it I have disconnected the rectifier and found it to be bad Before buying a new one I decided to check input ac voltage from stator When I checked it I found at idle I had 33 volts ac between the yellow and yellow/gray wires on terminal block When accelerated voltage goes up from there If I understand how this works I believe I should have 12-15 volts ac Wondering if I am understanding this right and if so does this mean a bad stator? Thanks in advance for the help

It merely means you are running it on open circuit (not connected to anything). That is the same reason that running with the battery disconnected will destroy the rectifier from high voltage. Connect everything like it is supposed to be and it will be fine.

Re: 1980 Evinrude 70 H.P. Stator voltage

Thanks for the clarifacation Just went and hooked rectifier back up and its charging perfect Guess I just got freaked out seeing all those ac volts out of stator Had bad dreams of a toasted rectifier or exploding battery in my face Thanks again