1980 90hp wiring questions

glennwingman

Seaman Apprentice
here's the situation: I'm putting a 1980-81 merc. 90hp 6 cyl. motor (sn 5672259) in place of my 1976 merc 650 65hp motor (sn 4386952) The 65 hp motor has the distributor-less thunderbolt ignition. I'm going to reuse the existing controls, and ignition, because its already installed, and in much better shape then that which came with the newer motor. I'm just unsure of what wires go where on this swap. The following are the wires I have in my 90 hp harness. With what should they connect on the 65 harness?
Heres what I've got so far:
90 hp ----------------------------65 hp
Yellow/black-------------------------grey choke switch wire
Yellow /red---------------to "start" position through nuetral start switch
Red-------------------------------------???
Grey------------------------------------???
Black/Yellow-----------------------------???
Black---------------------------------ign off/gnd.
Brown-----------------------------------???
Purple-----------------------------------???

I tried to compare diagrams on maxrules.com http://www.maxrules.com/oldmercs/Wiring/1966ona/30.gif and http://www.maxrules.com/oldmercs/Wiring/1966ona/37.jpg and the brown/purple wires arent even listed on the harness...so ANY help here would be great! Thanks in advance guys, Patrick.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1980 90hp wiring questions

Does this help?.... (I can post up the wiring diagrams of both engine if you need them..)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Wiring colours (800 x 784).jpg
    Wiring colours (800 x 784).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 0

glennwingman

Seaman Apprentice

what exactly is a reference electrode-mercathode? I guess a search wouldn't kill me, but I plan on keeping this thread open and finishing the wiring conversion chart soon, so some quick replies wouldn't hurt!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Mercathode is an impressed current corrosion protection system usually used on boat that live in the water.

n8smith777

Recruit

Looks like a lot of people, like me, have been wondering about the new wiring code colors and it took awhile for me to find the exact info I needed, so I thought I'd give this thread a bump. Maybe this chart should be a sticky?