1980/81 40HP merc plug type/fouling question

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have twin motors, same year. On one of the motors, I have a problem with the lower plug fouling fairly rapidly. The upper one looks kinda fouled too, but the lower is worse and misfires when it fouls.<br /><br />I can take it out maybe twice before it will start bogging down at WOT. I get home, clean the plugs on the wirewheel and I'm good for another trip or 2, but would like to get to the bottom of this and get it corrected for good. <br /><br />The plugs are not a type I've seen before, they're flat on the business end (da place where da spark jumps across) :D <br /><br />Same type plugs in the other motor that doesn't start misfiring like this one, though all of them seem to look kinda semi-fouled (and I clean them all when I clean one) they all seem to run OK.<br /><br />Is there a better type of plug I can run in these motors? Could I maybe have a fuel mixture problem in the one motor that fouls out the worst?<br /><br />All suggestion welcome, thanks!<br /><br />FW

jahughes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1980/81 40HP merc plug type/fouling question

Bumping, really could use some advice on the plug type question, thanks!

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1980/81 40HP merc plug type/fouling question

Hi,<br />Your oil recirculation sys may not be working in this motor. That would cause the oil to pool in the lower cyl and not be pumped up to the top cyl to be recirculated. The lower cyl would have a lot of oil in it causing it to oil foul. The oil bleed hose is on the starboard side oh the motor, check to see if it is alowing oil to come out the top of the hose by removing it from th nipple under the flwheel and running the motor. Oil and some gas should come out of the hose. As far as the plugs go run the one that are in there(surface gap).