1980 70 hp-Reeds or float?

I have a 1980 70 hp Evinrude I bought recently and put on my 15.5 ft Four Winns First time I tried it out idled great but hesitated and or stalled gunning it Would only accelerate when feathering the throttle but once it caught it would put the boat on plane and push it 30 mph like a new motor Figured first step was to decarb and clean carb with Seafoam which I did Took it out today and same exact thing although I did gain 2 more mph on top end I also noticed the bottom carb is peeing out gas slowly from choke end of carb at idle My first thought was the reeds but tested that by holding piece of toilet paper in front of carb and it wanted to suck it in not push it out which leads me to believe its not the reeds My next line of thought is the float and carb should be rebuilt Wondering if this sounds right and if so I will buy the carb kit and do the bottom carb BTW all readings are good 120 lbs each cylinder with good spark on each Also disconnected choke linkage so I could operate chokes independently and noticed when I closed the top 2 motor would bog and die quick but on the 3rd leaky one didnt have much affect Motor would run slightly rougher but not die Thanks for the second opinion in advance

Last edited:

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1980 70 hp-Reeds or float?

Just my opinion---
definitely not the reeds,
Definitely look at the carbs. If they're leaking fuel there has to be a reason.
JBJ