1980 115hp V4: measuring shift rod height

Yeoman24

Recruit
Hello. New to this forum and to boats. I see a great deal of information emphasizing the importance of getting the shift rod height correct, and I just want to be sure I'm doing it the right way.

I remove the rubber, and measure from the highest point of the metal base where the rod is inserted, like this?:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x19/smsallen/Tapelong.jpg
Tapelong.JPG

And I'm measuring to the highest point of the shift rod, correct?:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x19/smsallen/Tapeclose8x.jpg
Tapeclose8x.JPG

I'm trying to decide if this newly acquired motor is worth restoring and just want to try it out. It ran on the water, but wouldn't move the boat. Shift rod was disconnected. I understand that if I'm going to work on this motor that my Seloc manual should be replaced by the OEM manual. I'm guessing questions like this would be answered in the right manual.

Thanks for any advice. If I've missed this in the archives, please point me in the right direction.

Mark in W. Massachusetts
(It may take me a couple tries to learn how to post pictures correctly. Sorry.)

mark1961

Ensign
Re: 1980 115hp V4: measuring shift rod height

Incorrect.....the measurement is taken from the gearcase mating surface (the flat surface that mates with the midsection) to the centre of that shift rod hole (gearcase in neutral).

Yeoman24

Recruit

Much appreciate the responses. That would explain why it appears I needed so much adjustment. I'll sort it out in the daylight.

Thank you.

Yeoman24

Recruit

And now I see on the bottom of the shift rod heights listing what I should have noticed before:

NOTE: These measurements are made from the top or mating line of the gear case to the center line of the hole at the top of the shift rod.

Should have read more carefully.

Thanks again.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Make sure it's in neutral.

Yeoman24

Recruit

Once I learned the correct method of measuring, the center of the hole was within a turn of being correct.

For my engine this was: 1979-81 - V-4 model in neutral (L) 21-27/32” (XL) model in neutral 26-27/32”. IIRC I was at 21-7/8.

My situation was unusual. I knew when we bought the boat that the engine wasn't good, but for the heck of it we got it running. Poorly, but running. Put it in the water this past Sunday and just moved around a local lake a bit. It wasn't fun, but I'll try again before making a decision about whether or not boating is for us. I have compression readings of about 105 psi port, and 77 starboard. Next step is that I'll remove the head on the starboard side and see if I can see the reason for the poor readings before running the engine again. I have a new head gasket for that side.

Is it naive of me to think that because both starboard cylinders read low and identical, that it might just be the head gasket? I hope that I'll know scored cylinder walls if I see them.

Thanks for the advice so far.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When you pull the head you'll see if the head gasket is blown or not. If you find scratching or scuffing on the cyl walls you got piston/ring probs.