1979 Seahorse 115 slips out of gear

redmopar

Seaman
I have a '79 Johnson Seahorse 115 v4 20" with low hours on a 18' bassboat. Took it to Everglades Nat'l Park for a weekend of camping and fishing. It ran fine a month before. Changed the gearcase oil shortly before the last run. The rig was loaded down with camping gear, but not exceeding capacity. It was however the most load I have ever put on that boat. Dropped it in the water and putted out of the marina and eased the throttle up. Got to about 1/3 throttle and it slipped back into neutral :mad: . I was determined not to let this ruin the weekend, and eased the throttle up several times to figure how high I could get before it slipped again and ran it for awhile. The situation slowly improved as I went until it was operating normally about an hour later. It ran the rest of the weekend like a champ. It only slipped again when I was loading it under power onto the trailer at nearly 3/4 throttle. Any idea what is going on or what I should do next? My budget is seriously thin and blowing over $1000 on a new lower unit will be out of the question for a long time. I am very mechanically inclined but I lack any OMC specialty tools. Advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Seahorse 115 slips out of gear

Hello mopar and welcome to the forums.<br /><br />What I think ya' got is a case of the prop hub going south. Happens. The prop hub has a rubber bushing in it that is supposed to slip when you hit a solid opject in the water to protect the valuble gears inside the gear case. Well...this rubber gets old and loses its' grip and will slip. Tell tale signs are high revs and the boat don't go no where. Here's what to do. Make a reference mark on the brass hub and the outside prop hup. When the thing "slips" again, check the reference marks. If they are not in line, the hub has slipped. Cheap fix. Take it to a prop place and get it rehubbed. Save the extra $$ for Bud Longnecks..... :)

redmopar

Seaman

Woah, that makes perfect sense. Its the original 25 year old prop. I guess heating up that hub and getting it wet made it come back for a little while this weekend. I guess if it was truly going into neutral I would hear some awful noise from the gearbox. If your ever in the South Florida area OBJ, the Bud Longnecks are on me. Cheers!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Uhhhhhh.....I like em' cold....very, very cold..... :)

redmopar

Seaman

Yeah, its cold here too, like 77 degrees ;)