1979 Mercury 70 EL Thunderbolt Kill Switch Install

Cromagnon

Cadet
My dad just gave me his boat and I need to install a kill switch. It has a 70 EL Mercury Thunderbolt with a MercControl Throttle. Can anyone give me direction as to how to start this project? Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
First you need to see if it is ADI ignition or battery powered CDI. I expect it will be ADI, but you need to look. If you have 3 or 4 coils, it is ADI. A single coil and distributor is battery powered CDI.

The rest of these instructions are for ADI ignitions. I can advise on battery powered CDI if necessary.

If ADI, you need a kill switch that connects when it is tripped. That is you want to ground a wire on the switchbox to kill spark.

A 1979 motor could have an orange or salmon colored killer wire, or it could be a black/yellow wire. 1979 was kind of the changeover year for that. I expect it will be one of those colors.

Whatever color wire you have, it must be connected to the killswitch, and the other wire grounded.

You can run a new wire from the switchbox and ground to the killswitch, or you can tap into the MerControl. It is likely easiest to take a pair of wires and put ring terminals on one end and connect it to the killer wire on the switchbox (orange or salmon or black/yellow), and a ground, and run it back thru the gunwale to the killer switch.

Cromagnon

Cadet
First you need to see if it is ADI ignition or battery powered CDI. I expect it will be ADI, but you need to look. If you have 3 or 4 coils, it is ADI. A single coil and distributor is battery powered CDI.

The rest of these instructions are for ADI ignitions. I can advise on battery powered CDI if necessary.

If ADI, you need a kill switch that connects when it is tripped. That is you want to ground a wire on the switchbox to kill spark.

A 1979 motor could have an orange or salmon colored killer wire, or it could be a black/yellow wire. 1979 was kind of the changeover year for that. I expect it will be one of those colors.

Whatever color wire you have, it must be connected to the killswitch, and the other wire grounded.

You can run a new wire from the switchbox and ground to the killswitch, or you can tap into the MerControl. It is likely easiest to take a pair of wires and put ring terminals on one end and connect it to the killer wire on the switchbox (orange or salmon or black/yellow), and a ground, and run it back thru the gunwale to the killer switch.
Chris, it has 3 coils so it is an ADI. Thank you for the timely and detailed response. I’m on vacation now and will be trying to install soon. I might have another question once I get started. Thanks again!

Cromagnon

Cadet
So I need to buy a switch that is normally open and closes to kill the motor? See attached image of one I’m considering buying.

Attachments

• IMG_1960.png
    IMG_1960.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Wires should already be to the helm. Check the wiring schematic in the factory manual

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes you need a switch that closes when tripped. That looks to be the correct switch, however, I would hope they would explicitly tell you it's function.

Cromagnon

Cadet
Is this the switchbox and Do you know which 2 wires I need to attach my kill switch wires to? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2440.jpeg
    IMG_2440.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That is the switchbox, look for a yellow/black wire. That will be the ign killer wire. It needs to ground to kill the ignition.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there will be a yellow and black wire on the MOB switch.

if your MOB switch has two purple wires, then its for an I/O