1979 Merc 90hp questions on ignition(Pics added)

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all. Just wanted to ask a question about the above mentioned motor. It is on an old boat, I am just interested in the motor itself. I currently have a 3 cyl 70hp Chrysler. When looking at the side of the motor itself it seems like there should be something that bolts up along side the cdi modules. I wish I would have taken a picture, and I can. But i guess my real question is if someone here has a picture of theirs, where the cdi modules and all are, so I can look at it and see if there is indeed something not there that is supposed to be.

You cant tell that something used to be there. there are just some threaded holes that are empty, although it almost doesn't seem like there has been anything on them before.

Another question is when I turn the flywheel by hand there does not seem to be any real "turn over". What I mean is that with my Chrysler, you can feel the "thump" "thump" of the pistons turning over and all. with this it just seems real shallow of a turn over, if that makes any sense. I am just curious if it is because it has three more cylinders than mine or what? It also seems a little more stiff than mine. not real smooth. Any advice on this motor, or others in its family would be helpful. Thanks guys.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1979 Merc 90hp questions on ignition

Re: 1979 Merc 90hp questions on ignition

Here is a pic of the area I am talking about. I wish I could see a picture from someone else's motor. There are two ignition coils on there and I believe the switch box assemble is also, but not sure. I know that there are two modules and another one that has wires connecting to them which then run to the cylinders.

Hope this makes sense. I wish i had some technical names, but I dont right now. I am just trying to make up my mind if it is something I want to mess with. If it is not missing any components then i wouldn't mind messing with it, but if it is missing something then I do not want to mess with it. If you know what I mean.

Attachments

• electrical plate.jpg
    electrical plate.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 0

narvlebenoit

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1979 Merc 90hp questions on ignition(Pics added)

I have a 1981 90 h.p. inline six and it has two switch boxes on that plate but their is nothing where you have circled.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok. So you have the treaded holes there too? I browsed over the parts diagrams, printed some off, going to take them with me to check it out again. But I cant tell if anything goes there.

narvlebenoit

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the threaded holes to .I used them for ground wires for new switch boxes.