1979 johnson gasket trouble need quick fix ASAP!!!!!

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman
hey guys, i took my boat out the other day a noticed that when ever i shut my motor off (1979 johnson 115 sea horse)gas leaked outa the motor. i replaced all gas lines and then found out that my bottom carb was leaking from a gasket. the gasket is on the bottom where the flost is located nd its a good leak. the only way i can get to the gasket is by taking off the whole carb. my question(s) is, is there anything that i can put around it to keep it going for 1 boat trip? if i do get it off do u think a liquid gasket stuff would be able to fix? and third, do u think it would be possible to just run it as it because it only leaks when u shut it off? well thanxs oh do u think that it cudda just shaken loose??

D

DJ

Re: 1979 johnson gasket trouble need quick fix ASAP!!!!!

SS,<br /><br />The short asnswer is, NO! <br /><br />You need to rebuild the carbs. It's actually very simple and you'll get through the whole task within $50.00.

ob

Admiral

I'd remove the carb and fix it asap.with the proper gasket before I ran it again.Consider the fact of fire hazard and melting down a cylinder and I'll bet you'll agree.

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

yeah i know but i was hoping lol. ok well do u think that shops will have these parts in stock or do u think it will have to be ordered. I NEED TO GET IT GOING BY FRI OR SAT!!!! and do u think it could of just shaken loose??

ob

Admiral

Could be that the bowl screws are loose or missing some ,but if you can't get to them you'll have to pull the carb anyway.I would think that a local dealer or Napa will have your gasket.

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

hey yalls i found gaskets replaced replaced hoses no leak. TIME TO START!!!!!!!!

S.S__P.O.S

Seaman

well turned motor ver and choked it saw a lil gas come from the front carb gasket took off the ait intake ting and put some rtv on the gasket which was ugly looking then started it and NO LEAK!!!. tommarrow im taking it out. i have a bad feeling :( oh well thanx guys for all ur help!! :D