1979 Johnson 25hp tiller steer

changetires

Seaman Apprentice
Engine jumps out of forward gear while idling. Used to only do it when I was running WOT but yesterday it started while idling. Could the problem be the clutch dog is worn out? If not then what would be other causes.

Thanks,

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Drain the oil and look what you have in there.----If you have been running it like that shame on you.--It may now be a very expensive repair.-Look for used lower unit I would say.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Engine jumps out of forward gear while idling. Used to only do it when I was running WOT but yesterday it started while idling. Could the problem be the clutch dog is worn out? If not then what would be other causes.

Thanks,

If it is jumping out of gear at idle, it was worn out a long time ago. Expect to need a new clutch dog and forward gear at the very LEAST.

changetires

Seaman Apprentice
Update....took gearcase apart this afternoon and found a broken pinion thrust washer .....forward and reverse gear look good as does the clutch dog.....would this broken washer have cause this jumping in and out action?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well, I guess that qualifies for a "It depends" answer. So, was the broken washer still in place, or had it gotten out and allowed the pinion to move upward? If the pinion has moved upward, I suppose the gear teeth could have been jumping.

However, I have to tell you that I can't believe those parts look good. I certainly would expect tooth wear or chipping if they have been jumping. As for the dog and gear, are you sure of what you are looking at? Most people have no idea how little wear on the contact faces will make it jump out of gear.

In any case, you now have the parts in hand and you are the guy that has to decide. All I can tell you is that anything less than perfect is just asking for failure down the road.

jasper60103

Commander
If you do replace the LU, I would consider a 1980-84 gear case, which has the upgraded 3 lug gear system.

Last edited:

changetires

Seaman Apprentice
F R...the broken thrust washer was laying in the bottom half. In any event the unit is back together and will run tomorrow to see if all goes well.

changetires

Seaman Apprentice
Motor ran well.....no more jumping in and out of forward gear.......I also forgot to mention that the shifter lock and roller have rusted off and I cant find another one around town. I have to use a spring to hook the shift arm to the casing to hold it in gear.