1979 Johnson 25hp shifting problem.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an old boat that I haven't used in the last couple of years. Last time I had it out in 2009 it worked fine. Last week I was checking it over before taking it to the river and noticed that I could not get the boat into neutral. My initial thought was that the disconnect inside the lower unit was slipping but after checking that it was tight. Witha screw diver I was able to push down on the disconnect to get it into neutral. So I decided to look up at the motor end of the connection. I disconnected the shift cable and tried to shift it manually by hand. It shifted into all three positions but it didn't appear to move the shift rod up and down. I took a few pictures with my cell phone that are crap quality but maybe you can make it out. IN the second picture I'm holding the disassembled shift level up near the motor.

IMG_20110625_121556 copy.jpgIMG_20110625_121529 copy.jpg

I checked the tension on screw "D" and it was very tight. So I loosened it and pulled the shifter off. After closer inspection it appears that maybe some type of pin or screw should be in place between the hole on the sifter marked "C" and the hole marked with an "A" on the motor. Am I correct?

Does anyone have a schematic of this? My Johnson repair manual doesn't have it.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1979 Johnson 25hp shifting problem.

Bump for some help. I really need a schematic to see if I'm missing a part. Can't seem to find it.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1979 Johnson 25hp shifting problem.

Okay I did finally find a schematic. THe part in question is labeled as part# 388655 (Adj Lever and shaft Assy). It appears to connect to the shift lever via a screw and nut. Am I right?

On another note I tried to turn this adj lever and shaft aseembly with a pair of channel locks and it wouldn't move. Should I be able to rotate this?