1979 johnson 25 hp shift lock

changetires

Seaman Apprentice
I have a tiller steer electric start of this model and was wondering if there is supposed to be a shifter lock for forward gear when you engage. I bought this motor used and it looks and acts like it needs one. It has a tendency to shift to neutral when under a load.

Thanks,

Ed

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 johnson 25 hp shift lock

Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up your mtr. They have good parts break downs.

changetires

Seaman Apprentice

When engine is cold it will shift from forward to neutral until it warms up a little ...like a half mile of idling along... after that you can go to WOT with no problem. If you physically hold the shifter lever it will stay in gear but this is a real pain.. anyone have any ideas? tks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There are two detents that are supposed to hold the shifter in gear. One is the notched bar that the shifter rides in, and the other is a set of balls and spring in the prop shaft, inside the gearcase. Your motor has a totally worn out clutch dog and probably forward gear. I say totally, because it is overpowering both detents. Both parts are in the gearcase.

For you to decide, but that might be why the previous owner unloaded it. The parts are extremely expensive.

changetires

Seaman Apprentice

It doesn't jump out at WOT only when cold....could it still be worn out?....when you say expensive ....could you give me a ballpark figure?

tks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The temperature part baffles me. I can't make sense out of that part. Anyhoo, 325013 clutch dog is $134.97, 389469 forward gear is $264.14. Add a seal kit, oil and labor (if you have a dealer do it), and you are talking $600 - $700