1979 inline 6 90hp water pump rebuild

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Doing the rebuild on the water pump. I took it apart real carfully, making sure to notice what went where and so on and so forth. Just doing the upper rebuild as the lower does not seem to need it at the time.

I get the kit in the mail, and there are extra parts. I have read that this is normal, for the kit to fit more than one lower unit, but I was hoping that someone could take a look that has done a rebuild on theirs and let me know if there is something that got left out from a previous person that I need to put back on.

Take a look and let me know if you see anything that might be a part of the upper pump rebuild on this motor, thanks.

Attachments

• DSC02448.jpg
    DSC02448.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 0

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1979 inline 6 90hp water pump rebuild

wish i could help, but i just replaced impellor, not the whole kit on my 79 inline6 90hp.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, They give extra Orings for the pump base. You would only install one of those.

The small oring is for an Alpha I Sterndive oil passage. OBs don't use it. The medium sized Oring is for a driveshaft that uses them. Some OBs use them, some not.

Did you put the correct gasket on each side of the wearplate? You should have. There is also a gasket for the pump base. Again you would choose only one for these.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did not remove the pump base, did not see a reason too. So I guess I am good to go. I did take lots of pictures from taking the pump off, so I am confident that I put the gaskets in the right spot. Thanks for the info, its nice to have a little more confidence when starting it than "I am pretty sure I did it right".

Snake2715

Recruit

Wow,

Exactly what I may have to do this coming weekend. My pee hole was not throwing water. I have what I believe is a 79 inline 6 cylinder.

If I may ask where did you get the kit, and approximately how long was this process for you?

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Waterpump repair and rebuild kits are avail at a lot of places. Here on iBoats, at West Marine, other marine stores and dealers.

Inspect the upper waterpump housing. If it scored, replace it. If there is water in the gear oil, replace the waterpump base. Always replace the impeller and all gaskets and orings.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

snake, got the kit here at Iboats. Took me less than an hour total, but that was broken up between a few days. I also was swapping the motor from one boat to the next, so I had it off during that process.

It was very easy, I did not replace the lower part of the pump housing because it was not needed. I did not replace the upper part either because it was not worn, but, if I would have seen that you can get the upper housing for just 3 bucks like you can now (I think that is still the discount price) then I probably would have replaced it anyways.

I was tight on cash, so I might not have, but if it would have needed it I definitely would have because when I bought the kit it was only 5 or 10 bucks more for the upper water pump rebuild kit.

I did the job from start to finish by myself. it drops out easy, going back on is a little tricky, but can be done by yourself. I had the throttle and shift cables off because of the motor transfer, but when I put it back on I made sure the L.U. was in neutral and put the linkage on the power head in the middle position on the track, and when I eventually hooked the cables back up everything was great.

The only problem I ran into was the splines going into the power head matching up. It went up till about 1 or so inches from surface to surface then stopped. I was able to use the aft and stern side studs to hold the L.U. in place then I rotated the flywheel by hand a little at a time till it finally mated. Then just tighten the bolts and sucked her up tight.