1979 I-6, 90hp update

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so I have been working with this motor for some time now. Went through all the systems, few as they were; cleaned, checked, replaced. Then went on to the ignition, my biggest fear. Wiring harness was shot, literally, it crumbled in my hands when I went to look at it. So I replaced it.

I put the motor back together, except for the cowling supports, and really wanted to fire it up. I couldn't take it any longer. Got a big tub to put the lower unit in, got a good battery hooked up. I hooked up the wiring harness to the control box and turned the key. Whisssssssss. The starter threw the bendix up but when it engaged the flywheel, the starter just sat there and spun.

Bad bendix, maybe, I think I am the culprit. Idiocy of how the starter works is what I would attribute it too. After some searching I think I found what happened. In my cleaning I took the starter off, took the bendix off, and cleaned everything real well. In fact, just to make sure everything was "lubed" up, I tossed the bendix in a can of 30W to sit over night. lol.

needless to say, when the clutch in the bendix decided to grab hold, it couldn't. I dunno if it will clean out or not, I will try, but I think I can use the one off of the 50hp merc I have to try again. If not I will look for somewhere to get one.

But I was not going to let that dampen my forward process. So, during my cleaning process I had saturated everything with PB blaster. Just to make sure everything was "lubed" up. Not sure if that was a bad thing or not, but I had done it. I however did not take the time yet to hook up my fuel system, I was really getting to ansi, and so I mixed some fresh fuel in a spray bottle and fogged the cylinders.

How did I start it? You bet, got up in the boat and wrapped the rope around the flywheel. A rope that had never been used, still in the cowling. Let me say this is not an easy task. Some would even wonder why put a pull rope on a machine like this. It has to be about as easy as trying to go out and put a pull rope on your car engine and trying to start it like that. So as I was laughing to myself for my stubbornness, you guessed it, it fired up!

Smoke went everywhere, I am not sure how high it revved, it has to be the first time the thing has been started in about 6 years, but it ran for about 2 secs, real fast, then shut off. Sounded good, but I have heard that they will rev up to 5000 on just one cylinder, so I am not thinking I am out of the woods yet. Just to make sure it was not a fluke, I did it again. It is not an easy task to pull start one of these suckers, but it can be done. I would say that someone has to pull on it about 7 or 8 times before it will finally fire up. Not sure if it would be different if there was actually fuel in the carbs.

But that is my next step in getting this thing running for good. There is just a ton, literally, of pressure when trying to turn that motor over. I am still not convinced that it is all due to compression, but that is just my lack of experience with the I-6 I guess. It just seems that if there is that much resistance due to compression it must be crazy hard for that starter to turn that flywheel to begin with. Again, any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 I-6, 90hp update

it is very hard to pull start an inline six Merc.

You might remove all the spark plugs and turn it over by hand, to feel for binding. Each crankcase gets pressurized as part of the two cycle design, so you will feel this, but it is smooth, and you should be able to turn it past the crankcase compression.

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1979 I-6, 90hp update

Hard or not, it happened and I was truly surprised. With spark plugs out, the thing turns over really nice. But with spark plugs in, the thing is a bugger to turn over. It really amazes me that the starter can turn it over. I cannot feel any binding, so i am going to assume that it is just pure compression that makes it so hard to turn over either by hand or by rope or by starter.

Pulled the lower unit off last night, so I will be seeing if it gets any easier. I am sure it will be a little. Turning the crank shaft by hand, with the lower unit off the power head, it seemed a little stiff. I am going to guess it is something in the pump, hopefully the lower unit is ok. I really have no reason to doubt because there was oil that came out last time I checked the fluid. It had been sitting in the guys field for who knows how long, but as long as it was sitting in oil I would assume that the gears would still be fine.