1979 9.9 - Can't remove lower unit?

daviac9

Cadet
Hi,

Great Forum. I'm trying to replace the water pump and removed the bolts to get to the water pump. I was able to pull it down about an inch or so, but it seems to get stuck. I'm new to working on outboards and didn't want to force it off and do more damage. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0

daviac9

Cadet
Re: 1979 9.9 - Can't remove lower unit?

I read on "Leroys Ramblings" site that I need to unscrew the flathead screw that should become visible when the lower unit drops about 1/2 an inch. However, my motor doesn't have a screw. Is it possible that I only need to use a rubber mallet to work the shaft from the upper unit?

daviac9

Cadet

Sorry, I can't seem to delete or edit my posts. After reading more, I discovered I have a long shaft motor and I think I need to remove the extention housing to remove the shift linkage screw.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is that your mtr in the pic ??

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

The shift linkage screw has to be taken all the way out as the shift rod is groved to allow the bolt to be locked in and not move when put together.
Oldman570

daviac9

Cadet

Awesome!! That did it. It seems to make perfect sense now. :)

Thank you for your help. I'll work on changing the water pump tomorrow night.

Thanks again.

photo.JPG

Rick.

Captain

While it's apart I always spread the brass link a little with a screw driver just so it goes back together a little easier. Best of luck. Rick.

daviac9

Cadet

This doesn't look good. (see video) I pulled off the water pump and the old one looked pretty good. (I was told from marine mechanic that it needed a new water pump. I'm beginning to think he assumed this was the problem if he didn't think water was flowing properly. Before he got around to fixing it, decided to close his shop. ...long story) The impeller seemed fine but the base underneath the water pump looks somewhat corroded. Is this called the drive-shaft bearing sleeve? Is this something that needs to be handled by a boat mechanic? Any help is appreciated!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLNR8muyw_0

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I dont know that engine well but it looks like the casing is corroded/broken where the pump goes? Is it a saltwater engine?

daviac9

Cadet

I just purchased it, but I'm guessing it hasn't ben in saltwater. I purchased it locally here in Tulsa, OK. But does look like alot of corrosion. I was reading that JB weld can be used to build up the corroded part.

daviac9

Cadet

Well, I ordered an empty gear case to replace the corroded one. I have talked to a local marine mechanic about replacing the gears. I'm not sure what he would charge. I'm wondering if it makes more sense to purchase a complete lower unit off ebay for around $150?

What do you guys think?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

$!50 for a working 9.9 LU is not bad. What does the empty housing cost? And you'd have to find out what the mechanic will charge to move the innards over then you can compare actual costs.