1979 85hp chrysler

lowellpaul

Cadet
hi all am wondering if any one has any idea what problem this may be. i have a 85hp chrysler that runs ok and when you run it out of water and put it in gear the prop spins like everything is normal but when the boat is in the waterand it is put in gear i get lots of prop wash so you can tell the prop is moving but the boat wont move. is this some kind of bearing that is gone or what. there are no strange noises or anything like tha everything sounds fine. any sugestions would be greatly appriciated thanks

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 85hp chrysler

What you are seeing as "prop wash" is likely the exhaust. There are some props out there for that motor that have a rubber bushing, and that may be slipping. Or, shifting into gear is not happening. ;)

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a spun hub, time to pull the prop and put it in the prop shop, you might want to take a marker (sharpie) and draw a line from the drive shaft outward to the edge of the propeller body ( you'll have to remove the prop cone/nut to do this ) run the engine in water, if the lines move then the hub is bad

lowellpaul

Cadet

thanks for the help guys. it is definitely not the exhaust i think jasco is right about a spun hub been reading up on props a little and that sounds very likly. thanks again