1979 35 h.p. johnson electric start fuel problem

sawcat

Seaman Apprentice
just purchased. it will start when i squirt fuel into carb, but not stay running. have fresh fuel,new tank, hose. fuel pump was bad so i rebuilt. still wont stay running so i pulled carb it was nasty. i cleaned and reinstalled. it is getting fuel to carb as bowl remains full i dont think it is getting fuel to carb throat...,or crankcase any ideas :confused: :( <br />this engine looks like it was worked on by someone with no experience or manual. i have no manual for this engine so am not sure that carb is complete. i havnt worked on this carb before i will get manual tomorrow. it would be nice to get it done today though. anyone had this problem?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 35 h.p. johnson electric start fuel problem

Sawcat.... The carburetor is still fouled bad. There is a fixed high speed jet located in the center bottom portion of that float chamber bowl. Fuel must flow through that jet before it gets to any other passageway. Re-clean the carb carefully.

sawcat

Seaman Apprentice

thanks mr reeves, i just got back from church. am going to go & pull & clean again will let you know what happens.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

second Joe's advice. Use a toothpick or small wire to clean out the jet, also carb cleaner or gas to remove all traces of varnish.

sawcat

Seaman Apprentice

i removed carb. & sure enough on second cleaning a bunch of crud came from right where you said it was.after first cleaning i was sure it was clean.i also know to listen to experience.runs like new.,thank you mr. reeves! <br /><br />thank you also oldboat1 for checking in on my problem i was really thinking rebuild. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)