1979 200HP Mercury "Trailer" Position

sr79

Seaman
I recently bought a 1979 200HP Mercury O/B with a jet pump. The controls have a push button switch labeled "Trailer" this will raise the motor. My question: How do I lower the motor? Cannot find a switch for lowering. Looks like there is a manual valve on the hydraulic unit for lowering but, when opening that valve nothing happens. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you, Dennis

Alumarine

Captain
The valve is for raising the motor if the pump doesn't work, not lowering it.

Not sure why you have a trailer button and don't have a trim up or down button.
On the pump there should be a 3 prong connector from the trim control with red, blue and green wires.
Short red to green for down and red to blue for up.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Are there not two buttons on the throttle lever handle?

Dukedog

Captain
best I remember but its been a very, very long time....

old stuff was a little different.. tnt switch may/may not have been on tha handle.. should be a "up/down/trailer" in one unit and/or tha "trailer" could be separate.. it was to by-pass trim "limit switch" for raising tha motor higher for whatever reason (towin'/launchin'/loadin').. tha down switch should operate when motor is up no mater if it was raised with "up" switch or "trailer" switch...........

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
if you look at the parts list for that motor, it has the old style PTT with the pump in the boat, the intermediate with the smaller pump in the boat, as well as the early PTT between the transom brackets. Which do you have?

All would be jumperable as Marc and Duke have cited, but at different points. Also, the early PTT systems had the three pushbutton PTT panels. A newer Shoft/Throttle control will usually have a toggle switch plus a trailer button. What have you got?

Some pictures of the PTT and PTT buttons would help.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Should be the old square box....key must be on for trim up/down to work unless it has been rewired in
the past. Should have 2 buttons on handle for up/down,a trailer button and push button choke.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Some old mercs and Mercruiser had a 3 button trim control on the dash. More common on inboards, but not unknown on some 70’s big v6 mercs.
Most likely somewhere on the throttle though if your trailer button on there. I can imagine what you have. Likely a square cross lined rubber button lower down on the throttle handle ?