1979 150 Evinrude Fuel Problems

Skintback

Cadet
Last time i took my boat out, i had a little trouble starting it, once i got it started, i couldnt keep it running at all. If i tried to let it idle on its own, it would eventually die. If i tried to give it any gas, it would die as well. I tried having my partner squeeze the ball while i gave it gas, that didnt seem to help much either. Only way i could keep it running was to consistantly choke push in the choke. I am thinking my problem is the fuel pump. But I am not a marine mechaninc, and Im having trouble locating the fuel pump. I followed the line coming from the tank, and it ran into a diaprham looking device, wich had a filter on it, I am guessing this might be it, but as I said, I am not a marine mechanic, and cant be for sure. Ive even tried calling a parts store, and buying, then just finding something that looks familiar, but everyone i call, can not find it by just knowing the make and model of the engine, they want part numbers. Can anyone at all help me with this problem? It would be greatly appreciated if someone was able to help<br />Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 150 Evinrude Fuel Problems

I'll bet it's been sitting a while and the carbs are in need of a good cleaning. Use factory kits when reassembling.<br /><br />Good luck!

Skintback

Cadet

First of all thanks for the reply dhadley<br />So you are saying its probably not the fuel pump, and i should try cleaning the carbs?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I would. Especially if pumping the bulb didnt help. How long has it been sitting since it ran good?<br /><br />Good luck!

Skintback

Cadet

I had it tarped up for the winter, so id say maybe 5 months or so. I dont have alot of time to use it, so it doesnt get used much, probly at least once a month untill cold weather hits.

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class

HI, I agree with Dhadley, sounds like dirty or gummy carburetors. You motor should have two fuel pumps on it, they are the little unit with the black Filter cap on it. You can take the screw from the center of that cap off and see if there is debris on the screen. You'll probably have to replace the gasket. Be careful not to overtighten the filter cap, or it will crack. :)

Skintback

Cadet

Thanks alot Iceman, those are what I pulled off of the motor last night. I will probably still have the carbs cleaned as a precautionary measure.<br />You guys are very helpfull, hard to find that these days. Take care :)