1979 115 hp evinrude rebuild help

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took my 1979 115 hp motor apart close to 2 years ago due to losing a ring/piston due to coking. I ordered various parts and due to having 2 kids under the age of 3 have not had time to attempt the rebuild. I will have time over the memorial weekend so I can use all the advice I can get.

Here are the details. I took the block and had the bad cylinder bored out and have a matching piston/rings. I also had the 3 remaining cylinders honed and bought new rings for them. I have a complete gasket set and carb rebuild kit and some other parts as well. I also have the official evinrude manual.

Some of the parts of the motor were moved over the course of the past 2 years so...

My questions are:

1. I no longer know which piston goes to which cylinder (with the exception of the one that went out). How big of a deal is this since they were all honed and will be re-ringed?

2. I also no longer know which set of connecting rod bearings/retainers go with which connecting rod. How big of a deal is that?

3. Same goes for the crank retainer/needle set and split sleeve, although the retainers are paired with the correct split sleeve, just not sure where each one went.

4. Can I re-use the connecting rod bearing of the old bad piston for the new one? It looks fine.

5. The manual says not to use an automotive type ring compressor...I won't have the evinrude special tool, so what are my best options?

I would like to go ahead and give this a shot and see if it works and not spend any more money on it. The boat is old and so is the motor. But if doing so is going to be a certain failure than I would rather not bother. If I can get a few years out of the motor I would be happy.

Anyone else run into this issue and mixed and matched parts, and what were the results? Any advice is welcome.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 115 hp evinrude rebuild help

The pistons are all interchangeable-except: the problem is with the rods. They have oil passages that must be in a certain orientation to keep them oiled when running. So, that means once the piston is on the rod, the pistons are either a right or a left. The oil hole on the rod must face the flywheel. Note the factory manual for information on this. You should be able to interchange the bearings with no problem, same with the split bearings. Some will say to replace the rod bearings, others don't-it's a must if the bearing shows any overheat damage. I put my pistons in by compressing the rings with my fingers, one-at-a-time. You minimize the chance of cracking a ring.

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1979 115 hp evinrude rebuild help

Thanks for the info.