1978 V8 Volvo Penta Engine

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice
Quick question. Need a 2nd opinion. I have a 1978 V8 Volvo Penta. Bsically a Chevy V8. I got a steal on this boat, had my mechanic come out and take a look at her. Tried to start she wanted to turn over but started to feeze. He stopped right there said there might be some rust in the cylinders. The boat sat for quit some time and was not taken care of. He said if there is rust in the cylinders that he will just scrap out the cylinders and then "more" them out as needed. Does this sound like the right thing to do when faced with rust in the Cylinders. How the hell does water get in there to cause the rust? Is this a permanent fix? Any help would be great! Thanks!

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1978 V8 Volvo Penta Engine

Take the spark plugs out.Add marvels mystery oil sparringly in each cylinder with a turkey baster.Let sit.Take a large breakerbar and socket to the harmonic b bolt.Move back and forth when you find a hard spot.Water gets in usually from open intake valve or valves.Pull your coil wire or even better pull dist and spin allen on the oilpump.The best way is to pull the heads but I always try this first and have had great results

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

The stopping of the motor could be other issues!Moisture in the cap,bad timing,battery,ect.Grease her down anyway.Shes going to smoke on startup!Run it for a while! Hope it does'nt have a holley :mad:

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice

Great so this is a very fixable situation! Cool What's a Holly?

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

Whats a Holley! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!<br />Carb.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Holley%20Carbs.png
<br /><br /> Click Here and scroll down.

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice

Ok with that said what's the difference between a Holley (Marine Carb) and say a Edelbrock carburetor. On this engine (1978 Volvo V8 - Chevy) I have the Edelbrock carburetor. Can anybody tell me the difference. Should I go with the Holley Marine type is there a real difference? Thanks Dan!

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

MARINE edelbrock? 1409-10? Great carb.weber/carter design. Holleys are good until you have a problem.Jets,metering plate and accel pump require lots of work and gasket kits The edelbrock doesnt have the notorious "economizer" either.Some people refer to this i believe as a "power booster.Backfiring blows the dioframs up.

ron7000

Banned

Originally posted by barry2002:<br />The edelbrock doesnt have the notorious "economizer" either.Some people refer to this i believe as a "power booster.Backfiring blows the dioframs up.
:rolleyes:

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. Maybe I need a lesson ron7000. Where did I go wrong with the holly dio?