1978 Manatee - new owner/new member

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Greetings all. I just brought home my first boat... well first of anything bigger than a canoe.<br />I did a Yahoo search before buying this boat, never having even heard of the brand.<br /> That search led me to this forum, where I did read some good remarks. I did take that to<br /> heart when I went to look at the boat.<br /><br />I hope to be a usefull participant here... I'll certainly be interested to any advice or remarks for <br />a new member and a new Manatee owner. This brand seems to be well regarded though lesser<br />known. (Oddly, there are three advertised for sale in our local paper).<br /><br />I will feel free to come here with any questions that come up.<br /><br />I am not new to boats or boating, this is just the first boat of any significance that is MINE!!!<br /><br />My Manatee is a 20 footer, basically a traditional deep vee with a good flare. Power is a <br />modest 70 hp Merc O/B (The hull is rated to 140 hp). It has a cuddy, that while no mansion,<br /> I hope to use for sleeping/camping while afloat. <br /><br />It's a no frills rig. There's not any sort of radio or depth finder installed.<br />The canvas is just a sun topper, though I will be pursuing getting that upgraded. It does have a<br />chem toilet.<br />I am the second owner. The boat is excellant condition, even all the chrome still shines like<br />its new. This is remarkable as it's been used by now two generations of the family that ori-<br />ginally purchased it.<br /><br />I am about 25 miles out of Portland, Oregon in Columbia City. I will be using the boat mostly<br />on the river but I anticipate at least some use in the salty Pacific.<br /><br />thx for your time...<br /><br />Dave

bubbakat

Captain
Re: 1978 Manatee - new owner/new member

Welcome aboard dave there are a lot of guys and gals on here with a wealth of knowledge<br /><br />
gathering.gif