1978 johnson outboard 20hp question.

jason_c

Cadet
I had baught a 78 johnson seahorse 20 hp im wondering what i do before first run up, i have never owned or operated an outboard before.. so anyone with some tips to get started would mean alot...<br /><br />Thanks Jason :confused:

trumpetbucks

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1978 johnson outboard 20hp question.

Jason:<br /><br />Give us a few more specifics so we can help you better. Has the engine been running? How long has it sat up? Do you know any of the service history?<br /><br />If the answers are yes, more than 6 months, and no, then here are some basics:<br /><br />1. Get a manual for your motor - a generic Clymer's or Seloc will do, and read caarefully the part about engine maintanence.<br /><br />2. Put in new spark plugs and all new gas with 2-cycle oil at a minimum. Depending on how long it has sat, you would also consider rebuilding the water pump and carbs (that's good insurance anyway, especially if you don't know the service history).<br /><br />3. Do a search or look through the postings here for similar motors to learn which symptoms mean what problems. Also look for posts about motors that have sat a while if that's the case with yours. There's a lot of info on here.<br /><br />Good luck, and welcome to the world of boat ownership!

jason_c

Cadet

In reply to the history....i has not been run sence last fall...at that time the seller had rebuilt the whole engine....letter 2.2 i think... im not sure...like i said i baught this motor for dirt cheap and am in the process of building a boat and just looked for clues on how to get started...

trumpetbucks

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jason:<br /><br />Definitely follow all three items on my advice. Maanual is first priority. If you can trust that it was really "rebuilt" last fall then I would skip the carb and water pump rebuilding and plan to do it at the beginning of next season.<br /><br />When you get the motor started (on water muffs or in a tank/garbage can) make sure that you are getting water out the exhaust after a couple of minutes.<br /><br />After that's OK, put the motor in forward and reverse a few times and make sure the prop is turning freely both directions.<br /><br />That's about all I did to my 1972 Evinrude when I got it "as is" - boat, motor and trailer for $300. The motor is running well now, so I'm on to fixing the steering, then the seats, floor & carpet..... see what you have to look forward to?<br /><br />Good luck!