1978 Evinrude 140 tilt/trim problem

piniongear

Seaman
I am rebuilding the tilt/trim unit that leaks around the trim rods and the tilt shock rod. I have replaced the seals at the trim pistons, so those are repaired.<br /> The Problem: I had rather not, but I must remove the shock guts to replace the seals. This requires the removal of the shock from the unit. All is fine except I am unable to get any of the nuts on the hydraulic lines to budge. I started with the proper wrenches for this type nut, have then gone to vise grips and a torch to heat the aluminum body up. All I have to show for my effort so far is rounded off nuts.<br />They have not moved. I am close to cutting the stainless steel tubing with a hack saw and then drilling out those nuts and using an EZ out to remove the remains.<br /> However,before I get in deeper water, does anyone out there have a suggestion on how I might get these fittings loose? Thanks for any help, and all imput is really appreciated............piniongear

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Evinrude 140 tilt/trim problem

First...welcome to iboats piniongear!!<br /><br />Are you trying to remove the hydraulic lines from the pump or from the tilt piston? There should be enough room to get to the connection on the piston if you knock out the tilt pin and let the tilt cylinder roll forward. You would have to support the engine in the up position to do this. If you don't have to cut the lines the better. The ends are a double flair. <br /><br />With the cylinder rolled out, you may also be able to get the inards out without remoming any lines. Rule of thumb with any Tilt and Trim unit, don't take it apart unless it's an absolute neccessity.... :) <br /><br />Keep us posted....thanks.

piniongear

Seaman

Thanks OBJ. I have the unit removed from the engine and sitting on the bench. I was able to remove the innards of the tilt shock this morning to discover that it is a Showa unit, rather than a Prestolite.<br /> I need a different kit for the Showa and it is on order. I also discovered that the piston rod has chipped chrome at both ends, which will quickly destroy the seals. so I ordered a new rod ($141) with the kit. <br /> I priced the oil SS hydraulic lines and the bottom one (shorter) is $44 and the top line is $55. Whoa! I hope I will not need those, but if anything is going to leak after I get this back together, it will be one or both of those lines.<br /> The only way to remove the hydraulic lines will be to cut them off with a saw and then drill out/remove with an EZout. I had rather take a public beating................piniongear

Jilly - 5

Seaman

Go on ebay and bid a working one for about the same $ you might lay out on your re-building.