1978 35hp evinrude needs rebuilding

changetires

Seaman Apprentice
My brother in law has a 1978 35hp evinrude. While running down the river the motor all of a sudden went to running on 1 cylinder then the motor quit running altogether. He took it to a shop to ask about repairing it but the mechanic told him it would be cheaper to buy another one instead of fixing the old one. Mechanic told him he broke a rod or rod bearing. The motor didnt knock any holes in the block or any visible problems. Is this a motor than can be repaired easily. I work on my own 1970 40hp johnson with the help of this board so I was thinking of helping him out. Real good friend of mine has an engine machine shop so all the machining work if needed is a freebie. Should we tackle this problem or find a good used one? This is a one owner motor and to date this is the only problems ever come up.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1978 35hp evinrude needs rebuilding

Pull the head and see what damage has been done to the cylinder wall. If it's intact it's possible it's fixable but you still wont know until you take it apart.

And if the mechanic tells you he'll buy it off you, be wary!

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

It all depends on how much stuff needs to be replaced. Pull it apart and see what is trashed. If it's just a rod and piston, it will be worth it. If the crank has been trased, then it will get expensive.

You figure a replacement engine that size will set you back a minimum of $2,000 from a dealer or around $1500 private party.

Rip it apart and add up the cost of parts, supplies and service manual and go from there.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Before you start ripping it apart take a compression reading if it will turn over and post the results here. The problem may not be related to a rod.

changetires

Seaman Apprentice

I will check those things and will post back. May take a couple of days or so to find out.
Also does anyone have the full service manual for this motor on a pdf file that they could send me?

Thanks for all the replies
Ed

fireman57

Captain

If it was running on one cylinder you might have just dropped a coil and then the other cylinder flooded out. Check spark on both cylinders and then take the head off and check for damage. Had this problem with my 9.9.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree check the basics before doing anything, compression, spark.