1978 35 hp Johnson performance question: guesstimate is fine

Jezebel

Recruit
Hi, all: I'm on the verge of buying a 1978 Johnson 35 hp OB for a pontoon boat and a few general questions concern me. I'm new at this so expect a few dumb questions: (1) Is this an electronic-ignition engine? (2) What would be the estimated fuel consumption for pushing about 5,000 pounds at about half throttle (forward progress doesn't matter)? i.e., Half gallon an hour? Gallon? (3) Compared to a 15 hp Johnson, to do the same, any guess at how much more it would consume? i.e., Twice as much? Quarter as much? Maybe 10-20% more? Thanks.

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978 35 hp Johnson performance question: guesstimate is fine

My best guesstimate:
The larger motor, combined with the larger prop(pushin more water), should allow you to push the same amount of weight at the same speed, but use less throttle. Even though that motor uses more fuel, you shouldn't have to buy any more or less fuel....IMHO.
Also, I think the points style ignition systems went away in '76.

Jezebel

Recruit

My best guesstimate:
The larger motor, combined with the larger prop(pushin more water), should allow you to push the same amount of weight at the same speed, but use less throttle. Even though that motor uses more fuel, you shouldn't have to buy any more or less fuel....IMHO.
Also, I think the points style ignition systems went away in '76.

Scanman, thank you very much for your insight. I agree with you. My desire to upgrade drew "oh, my goodnesses" from a few buddies who believed fuel would increase dramatically. I disagreed along the same line of reasoning as you. Further, the difference in weights between the two isn't too much: about 74 pounds versus 120 pounds. The bracket is rated for 160 pounds so I'm not overly concerned in that regard either. My gut feeling was unless the larger motor is asked to produce it's greater horsepower, which is a function of adding fuel into it's potential, and as long as the forward speed is satisfactory (or equivalent to the 15 hp optimally speaking), then the additional consumption, if very much from the 35 hp, would be somewhat negligible -- perhaps in the 10-15% range. I wanted another objective opinion and I thank you. The true test is compare them in the real world, which I will. And, if memory serves me correctly, the 15 hp under the described conditions consumes no more than about half to three-quarters of a gallon per hour. Also, thanks for the help on the electronic ignition question. I, too, thought that was pre-1978 and tomorrow I'll call a parts department and ask about a replacement coil/electronic ignition component and let them tell me it's price, or that it ain't got one. My Best Regards, Jezebel.

scanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

DON'T DESPAIR if you have the points style ignition! There are lot's of people, other than me, that swear by em! If you have a CDI, I'd suggest carryin a spare. When they go.... they're gone! I can re-tune mine on the water, or at least replace the plugs to get home. Search my username for my thread about a fuel pump problem that turned out to be a carb issue. There's lots of good ignition info in it cause noone could figure it out! I still don't know what was wrong with that carb. My reply was only IMHO, but I'd really be interested in hearin the real world results.:)

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The 78 would definately be electronic, some 76's used points. 15 and 9.9 for example. For fuel use the 10% method of hp, granted 5000 lbs is heavier than average. I think a 15 would be right at 1.5 gph, the 35 prob about same due to reduced rpm.

TombigbeeMan

Cadet

For what it's worth, I had a 78 35hp Evinrude that was electronic. Very well built engine, but I run it on a flatbottom. I would think it would push a pontoon fine but not sure about the fuel consumption. I would think the bigger the engine on the pontoon the less work the engine would have to do, probably get just as good fuel economy as the 15.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Fuel consumption @ WOT ~ 3.5 gph. Less at lower power settings.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The 3.5 gph at wot is correct providing you have it proped correctly.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have a 35 ('84) that I bought new, and it has given flawless performance. But I have no idea what the fuel consumption specs are. Know why? Because it doesn't use enough to even concern me, and I don't pay any attention. Probably the cheapest recreation I have. Now, as for my truck and travel trailer.....break out the credit card.

jasper60103

Commander

I have a 35 ('84) that I bought new, and it has given flawless performance. But I have no idea what the fuel consumption specs are. Know why? Because it doesn't use enough to even concern me, and I don't pay any attention. Probably the cheapest recreation I have. Now, as for my truck and travel trailer.....break out the credit card.

I'm with F_R. If you got a good running motor, enjoy it!