1978 22' Holiday Restoration Project

VanderLaan

Seaman
Wanted a boat for fishing on Lake Michigan. Been scouring the net for potential projects for the last few months. Found a great deal on a Islander hull with no motor that I was going to convert to an outboard and a bracket, but the cost of having a bracket fabbed and a decent outboard made me re-think that approach. Then I came across this boat. I asked the Admiral if she was up for a road trip and she said yes. After six hours of driving, a stop at Cracker Barrel for lunch and some haggling with the owner, we were driving back home with a 22' project boat in tow (be sure to count the strakes). I have big plans for this boat. Gonna' take a lot of work, but I am excited to get things rolling. Without further ado...

IMG_1483 resized.jpgIMG_1484 resized.jpgIMG_1485 resized.jpg IMG_1481resized.jpgIMG_1482 resized.jpg

BonairII

Commander
Re: Look What Followed Me Home...

You posted the wrong photobucket code. Copy/paste the "img" code.

BonairII

Commander

After six hours of driving, a stop at Cracker Barrel for lunch and some haggling with the owner,

How were you able to haggle after a six hour drive?

If I were the seller, I'd stand firm on price.....knowing that anyone who drives 6 hrs.....ain't coming to "look".

kfa4303

Banned

Cool find Vander. Great lines and the trailer looks to be in good shape too. I like the little touch of woodwork on the bow and the doggie hiding in the first pic :) Can't wait to see what you do. What is the master plan?

VanderLaan

Seaman

How were you able to haggle after a six hour drive?

If I were the seller, I'd stand firm on price.....knowing that anyone who drives 6 hrs.....ain't coming to "look".

Note that I did not say that I stole it...

VanderLaan

Seaman

What is the master plan?

Basically, I intend to make it into a utility boat that I can use for layout duck hunting, trolling on the great lakes and fishing some bigger inland lakes. I also want to open up the front end and put a big trolling motor up there. I am undecided yet as to whether I am going with a center console or a single side console. If I go center console, I need to decide on dual seats or a leaning post. Have not got that far yet. I am also thinking of adding casting platforms on the bow and stern. Nothing too tall, perhaps 10-12" above the floor. All that said, I am open to suggestions and other ideas.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well Vander - Welcome to the Starmada. She looks like a big Holiday. A big water boat for sure. Keep the pics coming. And have fun.

shadetree_fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great find vander, wished I could find one of those down here in Tx.
BTW, my vote is for CC! :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Looks good.

You might want to keep the bow closed, for those rough days on L Michigan.

Maybe put a flat deck and railing over the top of it ?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Nice rig man, great for the big water! Though, I'd agree with rosco. If your time will mainly be spent on Lake Michigan, I'd leave that bow right where it is.

Welcome to the Starcraft brohood!

barato2

Commander

man....i'm jealous. what a boat. nice score. definitely want to be sure trans is good with that beeg honking V6 hangin off it

i love CCs for their functionality and am converting my Holiday 18 to one (sorta) but leaving the closed bow for similar reasons to those mentioned. with 22' to work with, you might be able to do a hybrid plan where you left part of bow cover and still had a gymnasium sized floor to play in.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Nice! Same hull I got. Where did you find it? Are you going to use it now and re-do later, or dive right in. Hope it's a '78 and not a '79 as mine is. It seems pour in foam started in '79 for the 22' V-5's.

I like it!

VanderLaan

Seaman

Nice! Same hull I got. Where did you find it? Are you going to use it now and re-do later, or dive right in. Hope it's a '78 and not a '79 as mine is. It seems pour in foam started in '79 for the 22' V-5's.

I like it!

I found it in central Ohio. The PO and his wife were into walleye fishing on Erie. His wife died three years ago and his heart was not into fishing anymore. It was pretty sad when his response to my "why are you selling it" was "because my fishing partner died". Told me that she caught the biggest walleye in Ohio in 2004 (?). It was 12 lbs and change. The boat has not been in water for almost three years and he hated to see it just sit. I knew he was done fishing, as he gave me a bunch of extra stuff like nets, maps of the lake, etc.

I already took out the seats and a lot of the hardware on the gunnels. I built a OB stand today and hope to shoe-horn the boat into the garage tomorrow or Sunday. After that I will likely just work on it when I have the time. I have to put a railing on the porch of the house (of course it goes around the house on three sides) and I will be in South Africa for two weeks of September. After that, I plan to really tear into it. Of course, bird season starts in November...

***It seems pour in foam started in '79 for the 22' V-5's.***

That is sweet sweet music! The boat is a 78! The V6 purrs too.

VanderLaan

Seaman

If your time will mainly be spent on Lake Michigan, I'd leave that bow right where it is.

The majority of my time will be on "smaller waters", and I intend to use it for layout ducking and non-trolling fishing too, so I will likely do something like what Horicon did with his V5 Islander. I appreciate and acknowledge the benefits of a closed bow, but I think that if I maintain the width of the side gunnels and keep a decent "triangle" section at the very front of the bow for a trolling motor, lights, etc. I should be ok.

VanderLaan

Seaman

With 22' to work with, you might be able to do a hybrid plan where you left part of bow cover and still had a gymnasium sized floor to play in.

I would love to see what you are doing with the CC. My only fear with a CC is that I would want a leaning post and then you really cannot sit sideways and watch the rods when you are trolling.

barato2

Commander

they make things that look like short leaning posts but are actually a double seat with swing back and cooler underneath. this might work for what you want....??

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Are you from Michigan? I'm just west of Grand Rapids.

Could you snap a few pics of how your rear bench is put together? I'm wondering how the back cushion is hooked to the splashwell panel. Thanks.

VanderLaan

Seaman

I am currently in central Illinois. :( I graduated from Grand Valley. Hoping to move somewhere like South Haven or St. Joe in a few years after my boy gets done with college.

I took the back seat out already, but I still have the pieces and can put it back together for you. I will take some pics and try to get them posted tomorrow.