1978 18ft Mariner Floor Rip Out: I have some questions..?

BigMega

Cadet
What i expected to be a difficult job in removing the floor, actually turned out to be a piece of cake: The floor was completely saturated and the fiberglass mat had separated from the plywood. This was a good thing since no time had to be spent figuring out where to make circular saw cuts. Again, this boat has been in outdoor storage ( covered by a tarp) and was exposed to the elements: Along with replacing the floor, the transom is in a similar state of decomposition: With the floor removed , is it ok to remove the splash-well and then the transom? I inspected the aluminum transom brace for cracks, and it was structurally sound. I won't be able to put in a floor until sometime in April when the weather warms up on Long Island. But I would like to get the transom and splash-well completed: I'm also thinking about installing a permanent fuel tank up in the bow: From what I've read Mariners tend to be light in the bow:

Attachments

• IMG_1070.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1071.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1072.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1073.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1074.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1075.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 19

jbcurt00

Staff member
Somethings wrong, poor quality work by prior owner.

Aluminum Starcraft's didnt come w fiberglassed decks (floor).

Transom replacement is often easier w splashwell removed. Remove & then replace after transom plywood is replaced.

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Im putting a 17g fuel tank in the bow of my 16’ boat, with a 75 johnson in the back. Im sure it would balance with your longer boat even better. My stern always sat low in the water compared to the bow, even with 2 people at the consoles.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Man that is a lot of mulch!!! lol

Looks like a fun project.

Echoing @jbcurt00, should be no issue in removing transom wood and splashwell for the repairs. Just don't go trying to swing on the gunwales.

SHSU

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Best plan is to remove the SW and then transom, makes it way easier and you can get in there to clean off the corrosion on the inner transom skin. Personally I fill pitting and paint the transom skin before putting in the new well sealed transom wood.

Lots going on there in this pic with the deck and I guess foam under it. Just goes to show that there is nothing that will keep mother nature from ruining a boat if it's left to the elements for long enough.

img_1073-jpg.331810

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Time to get the " beaver puke " out of this boat.-------There are composite ( not cheap ) materials that will last longer.-----This looks like it was refurbished once already.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Amazing, without exception, you could of copied most any other boat project at the beginning, and posted it and it would like identical. The rot seems to be the norm with boat projects. But I will say, you have a nice boat to work with and I can see a very nice boat when you finish. Carry on and post those pictures as you go. Also ask questions on here for the best suggestions and advice of any site. Thumbs Up!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If your funds are limited for a new boat like that ( $30,000 + ) then you have the opportunity to make this project so that the grand kids will enjoy it.-----New boats may have the same shoddy materials hidden by fancy carpeting.--------Look into composite materials for this project.

Last edited:

BigMega

Cadet
Somethings wrong, poor quality work by prior owner.

Aluminum Starcraft's didnt come w fiberglassed decks (floor).

Transom replacement is often easier w splashwell removed. Remove & then replace after transom plywood is replaced.
In removing all the "mulch" I did locate a small patch near the stern that was not affected by the moisture and wet: The plywood was 1/2"; the bottom was clearly cracked polyurethane no mat; and topside was poly and mat: the edges were not filled: Tnx

BigMega

Cadet
Amazing, without exception, you could of copied most any other boat project at the beginning, and posted it and it would like identical. The rot seems to be the norm with boat projects. But I will say, you have a nice boat to work with and I can see a very nice boat when you finish. Carry on and post those pictures as you go. Also ask questions on here for the best suggestions and advice of any site. Thumbs Up!
Thank you for your encouraging words..