1977 Tahiti 22' Daycruiser

Miranda

Cadet
I'm looking at a 1977 Tahiti Daycruiser to buy , but it has no motor or outdriver.
Wondering if anyone here can tell me what motor and outdrive belong to this boat. If it is a rare hard to find outdrive ( ex. Chrystler 300 stern) or if I could put something more readily available in it, like a Merc alpha or something like that.
Thanks for any advice
Miranda

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1977 Tahiti 22' Daycruiser

Ayuh,... Without Seeing it,.. It's Impossible to say What was in it...
But,...
You can install Any driveline you Want....
All it takes is the driveline, time,+ Money...

Miranda

Cadet

As I said, I have not purchased the boat ( no Pic's) My question was, what is the common motor and outdrive for that model. I recently purchased a sleekcraft executive that I am referbing. For the year and type they used a standard 318 with a Chrysler 300 sterndrive outdrive. Inorder for me to put any other outdrive on that boat I would have to cut the back end off and refiberglass it. So, I would rather purchase a boat that i can put a common outdrive on that will mate up fine.

Bondo

Staff member

Inorder for me to put any other outdrive on that boat I would have to cut the back end off and refiberglass it. So, I would rather purchase a boat that i can put a common outdrive on that will mate up fine.

Ayuh,... It's a pretty simple process to glass in the hole in the hull,+ Recut it to what is Now the industry Standard transom opening,....
If the Hull is Worth it,... Refits are common....

Head on down to the Restoration forum,... It's been covered,.. repeatedly....

Lyndy

Chief Petty Officer

Saw this one on a quick search

Classic Tahiti Day Cruiser, 260 HP Mercruiser 260, SS Prop, Closed Bow Cuddy Cabin w/ Seating & V-Berth, Bimini Top, Swim Steps, Sun Deck, AM FM Casstette and Tandem Axle Trailer.

Miranda

Cadet

Thanks for the help, I'll deffinatly check out the restoration forum. New here so I have not looked around the site to much yet.
I did find out that this boat had a 454 olds, with a jet drive. Never delt with a jetdrive so I'm not sure if I'll buy it. Some other folks told me Jet Drive are a headache and very finicky.
Thanks again for the info
Miranda