1977 OMC Stern Drive Not Raising/Lowering

outaline

Cadet
Any ideas on what to do here. I've taken apart the housing and regreased, etc. How do you remove the tilt motor? Seems my worm drive is not engaging when I hit the switch on the motor. It whines but doesn't move the pulleys. How do you get into the hammer clutch?

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1977 OMC Stern Drive Not Raising/Lowering

Any ideas on what to do here. I've taken apart the housing and regreased, etc. How do you remove the tilt motor? Seems my worm drive is not engaging when I hit the switch on the motor. It whines but doesn't move the pulleys. How do you get into the hammer clutch?

the tilt motor has to come out , which is accessed from the bilge area, not the funnest job, its pretty tight in there, if the motor is spinning but not engaging anything my money is on the 2 prongs on the actual motor shaft are sheared off.

good news is that its only 2 bolts to remove it. Good luck !

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind that on your '77 electric shift, when you pull the two bolts, the motor wants to fall to pieces, so be careful. Try holding it all together as you lift it out and up. The thru bolt hold both motor endplates in place.

As redrig said, there is a high probability that either the prongs are broken on the end of the motor armature shaft OR one of the keys in the hammer blow coupler is broken. This is one of the symptoms of improper use of the up/down switch. You should never engage it and let the drive run it's full path. Stop short of full up or full down then bump the switch for the rest of the travel.

Not sure if you can see the prongs on the end of this shaft.

You can see the keys in the coupler. There is one on each side. One engages the prongs on the tilt motor shaft and the other engages the worm gear shaft going down to the clutch pack.

outaline

Cadet

Keep in mind that on your '77 electric shift, when you pull the two bolts, the motor wants to fall to pieces, so be careful. Try holding it all together as you lift it out and up. The thru bolt hold both motor endplates in place.

As redrig said, there is a high probability that either the prongs are broken on the end of the motor armature shaft OR one of the keys in the hammer blow coupler is broken. This is one of the symptoms of improper use of the up/down switch. You should never engage it and let the drive run it's full path. Stop short of full up or full down then bump the switch for the rest of the travel.

Not sure if you can see the prongs on the end of this shaft.

You can see the keys in the coupler. There is one on each side. One engages the prongs on the tilt motor shaft and the other engages the worm gear shaft going down to the clutch pack.

Great advice, thank you! But I am not seeing where you access the bolts to get the tilt motor out.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

See the wing nuts on the forward face of the motor? I just added those to hold the motor together while it was out of the boat. It is the thru bolts (heads on back side of motor) that they are threaded onto that hold the tilt motor to the IH.

outaline

Cadet

found them,yes very hard to get to,thank you

outaline

Cadet

update,replaced the tilt motor and put everything back together then put gear lube in the clutch pack.everything works great but the only problem im having now is when i hit the switch in the up position the lower unit wants to fall back down(it dont hold itself up anymore) any clues? by the way the problem was the two prongs were broke off the tilt motor. redrig was right. thanks for the help to both you guys could not have done it without ya,god bless

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

The clutch pack requires a certain amount of tension. I believe it is about 130 ft lbs to break it loose. The tension is adjustable either with shims or by a set screw in the end of the quadrant drive shaft. Make sure that your tilt gear box is full of 30wt oil before you go further.

outaline

Cadet

took the shims out and put them back in the same way(do i need to do something different) were is the quadrant drive shaft?gear box is full of oil

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

took the shims out and put them back in the same way(do i need to do something different) were is the quadrant drive shaft?gear box is full of oil

If the drive falls back down on its own accord you do not have enough tension on the clutchpack or the discs are worn. I've never had them in my hands so I do not know when they are worn or worn out. All I know is that later units had adjustable tension via an allen screw accessed from the outside on the tilt gear side of the quadrant drive gear shaft. Your '77 is done with shims to control the breakaway torque.

OMC had a tool that would grab hold of the gear, then you inserted your torque wrench an tested the breakaway torque.

outaline

Cadet

i inserted all the discs into the cluthpack,took the snap washer off the quadrant gear and took all the shims and the gearshaft out at the same time.took two pair of vise grips and compressed all the shims at one time and put the other snap washer on,worked great(my problem was the bigger snap washer was not setting in the shaft notch)my shims are in great shape.no allen screw on my unit.wow who comes up with these ways to build these things,just love learning about it and its better than shop rates.got this boat from my father in law when he died only has 96 hrs on it,he just did not use it, I couldnt be happier with it,runs like a champ. THANKS AGAIN, U BEEN LOTS OF HELP

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

If your unit is original you might check to see if your shaft seal is double lipped seal. Also the tilt box cover gaskets are also shims. You want to make sure that it is double gasketed. Also for future maintenance, you may want to drill and tap a 1/8" npt hole in the bottom of the housing and insert a stainless steel pipe plug. That way you won't mess up the gaskets when you drain and refill the housing.

It is the nature of the beast, even with a double lip or double seal, to injest water. This was one of the weak points of the OMC tilt. The weight of the outdrive, pressing down on that shaft allows a little water intrusion. You should sure change it, at least annually.

With as foreign as the OMC Stringer seems to you, just be glad you do not have a Rube Goldberg Black Anchor. Those things are a nightmare with all their boots, cables, gimbals, gimbal bearings, alignment requirements, u-joints, yada, yada, yada!

Last edited: