1977 (maybe) 55hp johnson 2 cyl. outboard

ebnf1969

Cadet
just purchased 77 checkmate boat model V-mate 1<br />came w/55 hp johnson : ser# e4477081<br />model # 55el76e. Need to know year.<br />Need to know how steering cable hooks up.<br />and how the Fuel supply line hooks to motor.<br />I tried to hook up both and it is not working<br />for me. bought book for repair of motor. and shows nothing of hook-ups. Thanks for any help. Ed Fulke

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1977 (maybe) 55hp johnson 2 cyl. outboard

Hi, Ed.<br /><br />Welcome to iboats. :) <br /><br />That is a 1976 engine, Ed.<br /><br />There should be a standard OMC connector on the engine to receive a standard OMC fuel line.<br /><br />Can't help you with the steering without knowing a lot more about what you have and what is missing.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

ebnf1969

Cadet

hi,jb<br /> It looks like the fuel line is suppose to go into the area of the motor. I have tried to put the Female part to meet the male part , it just does not want to go.there is a small metal "bar" I guess i will call it, that is not allowing the fuel line to go in. The bar is about 1.5 inches in length, and sits right next to the male connectors that the female connector is suppose to go. I even tried tapping the connector with a screwdriver and hammer (lighlty) and the fitting still will not go in.

ebnf1969

Cadet

the steering mechanism is a very long red cable, it goes from the steering wheel to the motor. There is a part , that goes towards the motor , it looks like a large "nut" that screws into something: to tightned something down. but I do not see anything to affix that "nut" to. <br />I have bolted down the "arm" to the motor, but when I turn the steeting wheel, the motor does not turn. <br />Thank You for your time. :cool: