1977 Johnson - Starter terminal hot when key - any advice would be very appreciated

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1977 Johnson - 115hp - Model: 115EL775

I recently purchased my first old boat and I am trying to get it lake ready but I have to ask for a little help on an unexpected problem.

The Problem:
With only the Red cable from the engine to (+) on battery and the black cable from the engine to the (-) on battery.
When I turn the key although the starter engages and turns the flywheel, the positive terminal on the battery begins to glow red hot.

I have ordered the "Johnson Evinrude Outboard 60-235 HP Repair Manual1973-1991" but while waiting on it to get here I thought I would ask for some advice on how to correctly troubleshoot the problem

Whats changed since the last time it worked?
When I purchased the boat it did start. However, today I was having to rework many of the wires (lights, horn, bilge pump etc - which all work now) I think I have somehow introduced this problem with the starter.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Roy

Last edited:

1730V

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1977 Johnson - Starter terminal hot when key - any advice would be very appreciat

If the starter stays engaged, or the solenoid sticks, you essentially have a high amp short.

Also, poor connections or corroded wiring can cause excess amp draw and heat.

Check the connections at both the battery and engine end. Take them all apart and clean them. Especially the negative terminal on the engine block.

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1977 Johnson - Starter terminal hot when key - any advice would be very appreciat

Thanks for the reply 1730V
The starter does not stay engaged as soon as I let off the key it drops back in place. I am sure I have a short somewhere I am just trying to track it down as I know its something stupid I did.

The wireing in the engine looks correct. Is there to bypass the starter solenoid like you would on an old pickup?

The wires are all very old and I will check for corrosion and poor connections. The proper way to diagnose this is to only have the engine cabled to the battery corret?

Thanks

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

There is a solenoid on the engine, usually near the starter. It has four terminals. Two large, two small.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Edit

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Heat in any electrical circuit is caused by resistnace at the location of the heat. A light bulb filiment gets white hot because of the resistance through it. So, carrying the logic a step further, if your battery terminal is getting hot it is because of resistance at the terminal. Take it apart and clean it shiny bright. Just wiping it off is not cleaning it. You must use sandpaper or a wire brush or something to get the layer of oxydation off. The oxydation is the resistance.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I totally agree with the start with good, clean and shiny connections and make certain that the cables are in good condition. It is hard to tell how good or bad the cable is inside the outer insulation but I have found that it is usually worst at the ends and gets better further in. The suggestion to shorten the cable a little could be a good one if it is corroded at the ends.

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks so much for the advice guys. Replacing the terminal connectors resolved my issue.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thanks so much for the advice guys. Replacing the terminal connectors resolved my issue.

Glad you solved the problem.