1977 Johnson - Newbie Questions - fuel/oil ration, command center etc - advice

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello - I am a newbie and this is my first boat, very limited experience. I have some basic questions, and I am having trouble finding it on the forms.

1. I would like to know the fuel/oil ratio for my engine:
Johnson 115 HP - Model 115EL775

2. I am having trouble finding articles when I search the forms. Are there any suggestions on the best way to search on this form?

3. My throttle, ignition etc are contained within the "Johnson Command Center". I took this apart as part of debugging another issue, but when I did I dropped a little ball bearing which was between a spring and a cog-ish looking thing (wish I knew the name of stuff). Anyway, in another thread I saw someone mention that if you have a hex wrench that is not a very big deal. However, when I tried this AM to remove the hex screw from the port side of the command center it appears to be stuck in place.
- Is there a trick to removing that hex bolt (or is it just rusted in place)?
- Does anyone have a diagram of that command center?
- Does anyone know if the SELOC manual for the 1977 would cover the command center?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 Johnson - Newbie Questions - fuel/oil ration, command center etc - advice

Gas / oil is 50:1 One pint to 6 us gallons.

The manuals only cover the moters that I know of.

Hex head is rusted in I would think, try PB blaster.

Get a clymers manual.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 Johnson - Newbie Questions - fuel/oil ration, command center etc - advice

Edit

Last edited:

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the advice guys. I was able to get the command center back together and got that ball back in place.

I have one follow up. I have noticed this even before I took it apart for the first time. When I throttle up or down I do not see it moving the lever at the engines starbord side till I am about 1/2 way up the dial. This also happens when I put it in reverse.

What does this indicate? I suspect I do not have the throttle cable tight enough and I suspect I need to tighten them at the engine, but I am unsure. Thought I would ask before I screw something up.

Thanks

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I am strongly with EZEKE on getting the OMC manual for your engine. It will show you all you need to know. On the throttle cables - again check the manual - Take the engine cover off and observe the cables for the throttle & gearshift as you move the control handle at the helm.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I will get the OMC manual, I dont see anything in my Clymer for the remote controls.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

Cables stretch, especially the pre-1979 OMC cables with the barrel connectors at the engine end. You can get new cdables here on iboats.

Yep, you need to replace the cables (throttle/gear) and take the Command Center apart again.

That ball bearing is the neutral detent.

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was afraid that the throttle cable would have to be replaced, but I had to replace the drive cable anyway so I have to take the command center again anyway. I will try to get by for a while untill I can sink some money in cables (still want to do a decarb, impeller replacement, check LU oil and lower unit check based on suggestions from you guys)

I dont think it was in this thread, but one of the things that has helped me the most is the brp catalog
http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=e
The "Remote Control" section had a great diagram of the Johnson Control Center.

Thanks for the help

Ranger 330V

Petty Officer 1st Class

spencroy, go to kencook.com and find your motor on there and order a manual...I got mine yesterday and your controls and diagrams and such will be in it...best money you can buy for your boat.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Edit